Should i partition my iMac….

Discussion in 'iMac' started by redhatcode29, Jun 2, 2015.

1. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Guys, this might be familiar Q..but i need to ask !

Imac Core i3 mid 2010 with 500GB hdd

currently is running on ML with W7 as bootcamp. I have several other machines, so i don't really need the boot camp. I am about to run Yosemite, thus my Q arises, should i partition my HDD and run the OS separately…with the other partition as a storage or otherwise...

This imac would only be used to store my stills, home vids and backups for my iPhone & iPad.

So…should i ?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You have options. You can run newer verisons of OS X in a virtualization app such as Parallels or you can create different partitions. In your case because you have older hardware, running versions of OS X that became available after your machine was made would work in different partitions. However, if you wanted to run an older version of OS X that was made prior to your machine's manufacture date you could not run those in a separate partition.

3. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi, thx for your reply. I am a bit lost here :) So should i create a partition or otherwise… i understand that i can run the OS in a separate partition.. but should i ?

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I think the previous poster assumed you wanted to run two versions of OS X.

If you're just running Yosemite don't bother partitioning. People used to do that with Windows because it was pretty flakey and you regularly had to reformat your drive. OS X does a pretty good job of just reinstalling the operating system without touching your data should it ever be needed.

5. as11ley macrumors 6502

as11ley

There you go, partitioned your Mac for you!
    Sorry I couldn't resist that, but seriously, partition your Mac how you want to.

Attached Files:

6. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi steve, u got me correct, i am not asking about multiple OSs. Just whether to or not .... Thx for your view :)

7. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

K... But u should hv posted a pic of a disected imac ! :)