Should I pay $350 above cost to have a 42 SS MIL now vs. July?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rorystewart, May 6, 2015.

  1. rorystewart macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2012
    #1
    I ordered a 42 SS MIL as soon as I could after midnight on April 10th and FINALLY my watch is shipping today. I get it tomorrow. Pumped.

    On a whim I posted the watch on CL for $1,100 and ironically I regret it. Almost immediately I had someone email me saying they want to buy it tomorrow and asked me where I want them to meet. After the sales tax I paid that's close to a $350 profit if I sell. The 42 SS MIL is exactly the model I want. Apple store shows July shipping for this model.

    So because of the economic principle of opportunity cost I've now put myself in the position where I have to decide if I want to pay $350 for the privilege of having the watch now instead of waiting two months. My mind's telling me no, but my body, my body, is telling me yes! :/ What should I do...
     
  2. hallidc macrumors 6502

    hallidc

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2013
    #2
    Keep the watch. Your intention was to purchase it to keep (assumption), opposed to purchase it to scalp.
     
  3. biosci macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Location:
    Chicagoland, IL
    #3
    Depends on if you want to play or have some cash on hand. For some people, $350 isn't THAT much to wait a couple of months. For others, it'll buy them another Sport model and is a LOT of money! For me, it's a weekend of hotels or airbnb (experiences). It's only a decision you can make. If money is tight, think of it as a two month tax free income. Oh yeah, that Amt is a good dent in the grocery budget too.

    BUT on the other hand, doing groceries while checking off items off of my Clear list is that much more fun with the Apple Watch.

    Sorry to make this difficult. You asked!
     
  4. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

    AbeFrohman

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #4
    Unless this watch has/will dramatically change your life, I say sell.

    You can repurchase (sure, with a delay) AND buy a spare Sport model, bands, charging stand.....
     
  5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

    Matthew9559

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    That's tough. 2 months is a long time but $350 is a lot of money as well. Personally, I think I would keep it if it was really 2 months. Maybe it will ship early July and not be so bad though.
     
  6. GeorgiaPower macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
  7. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

    mikezmac

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2014
    Location:
    MA
    #7
    I wouldn't personally. I'm patient. (ok, not being completely honest..)

    But it's up to you. If you have that much cash to blow and it won't impact your life then...

    You choose.
     
  8. Brookzy macrumors 68040

    Brookzy

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    First, while on paper it's the same, there's some difference in my opinion between foregoing $350 you never expected to have, and paying $350 for something outright.

    Second, how much is $350 to you?

    Personally I would look at it as (assuming your newly-ordered watch ships late July), 5 bucks a day to have it now instead of then.
     
  9. Joe1602 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2012
    #9
    All depends on how much money you have. A 22 year-old Joe1602 would give his right kidney for $350 to avoid another ketchup and mustard sandwich for dinner.
    A 45 year-old Joe1602 has enough money and just wants an awesome watch!
     
  10. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

    AbeFrohman

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #10
    LOL - good perspective.
     
  11. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    #11
    If you like it then maybe say you have an offer for 500 over and you will give him a chance to match. If he does take the money if he doesn't then you can keep the watch or see what other offers roll in.
     
  12. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2015
    Location:
    Seattle, WA region
    #12
    If 350 dollars over the course of 2 months means a lot to you, sell the watch and wait it out. If it doesn't, keep it and enjoy. Sometimes the effort simply isn't worth it.
     
  13. PLamarine macrumors 6502

    PLamarine

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Central MA
  14. jigzaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #14
    It's hard for me to give an unbiased answer because I find scalping to be a repugnant practice, so I won't try: keep the watch and enjoy it. You're not paying anything by keeping it. Yes, you could sell it and gain $350 but is $350 worth the price of your soul? (yes that's kind of a joke... kind of)
     
  15. FoxD macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    #15
    Sell it. Take the money!

    There is nothing thst the Watch has that you can't wait a month for...easy money.
     
  16. Mac 128 macrumors 601

    Mac 128

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    #16
    On the other hand, Apple has done such a poor job distributing the watches they do have, anyone who's willing to wait another couple of months can really help out the rest of the community by getting more watches more widely distributed into the hands of customers who can afford not to wait, and be compensated for giving up the watch. It's not so much scalping as accelerated product distribution. You pay extra for FedEx to get a package next day, so this is basically the same thing since Apple doesn't offer an accelerated delivery service at any price. If a person can live without the watch for a couple of months then I see no reason not to take advantage of a situation that Apple created for their customers.
     
  17. rorystewart thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2012
    #17
    Ahh I'm conflicted! I'll be fine without the $350. I don't need it. But, if I had just logged on to the Apple site today to order it there's no way in hell I would pay someone $350 over list to have it now; I would just wait until July.

    So it's odd then that I'm leaning towards keeping it even though I'll be turning down $350 to do so. This is what behavioral economists call irrational behavior. I always thought I was above succumbing to it but I don't think I am.
     
  18. wanderfowl macrumors member

    wanderfowl

    Joined:
    May 6, 2015
    Location:
    Michigan, US
    #18
    I just sold my Sport Watch on Craigslist, so I can get a Stainless in July. I actually got an offer based on a "Want to swap bands" post. ~$150 profit.

    One thing to remember is that although the Apple Watch is cool, it's not vital.
    After wearing one for the better part of a week, I liked it a lot, and I miss it now, but it had already started to fade to the background. It's a luxury, and results a series of subtle and low-level improvements to life, rather than something you'll "need" every day, and will ache for.

    I'm looking forward to getting the new one, and I'd be overjoyed if my Stainless shipped tomorrow, but for me, "being without" isn't terribly painful, particularly given that selling improves the watch I'll have in the long term.

    So, I'd sell, use the $350 for something you'd like, and wait the month or two. Then you'll smile extra when you wear it.
     
  19. ianfann macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2014
  20. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

    balzmcfearson

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #20
    Agreed. In 2 days you'll have wished you did. $400 for the SS is a good deal and worth the wait. I bet you'll even be able to get it via in store pickup before July.
     
  21. hallidc macrumors 6502

    hallidc

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2013
    #21
    Thats understandable. Personally I would keep the watch as that's the main reason of the purchase (unless OP could benefit from the extra cash and can wait out another order)
     
  22. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

    slvrscoobie

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Location:
    NJ
    #22
    Did the same thing (42mm SS milanese). I put mine on ebay thinking I asked an un-sellable amount, to kinda quiet the wife.. sold mine on Sat the 25th for $1200. minus ebay, I netted enough to upgrade to the space black option, which at the time was July. April 25-> July was even more disappointing, but I know now that the funds are safely in my account that come July, August, Sept, Oct, Ect, Ill be happier rocking the nicer watch that I originally wanted, than the one I settled for. Money comes and goes, but if you can get something you'll like more by waiting a bit (plus the Space black havent even shipped yet so im not waiting much longer than i would have had i ordered it on the 10th anyway)
     
  23. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

    CrackerJackToy

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2011
    #23
    Take the money and wait. Your watch will be half paid for doing this. You've lived all these years without an Apple watch, whats another couple months?
     
  24. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

    slvrscoobie

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Location:
    NJ
    #24
    And with this much trouble getting them into peoples hands its not like the ipad 3 that theyre going to replace in 6 months with a new one. This ones gonna take a while me thinks. My expectation is that they wont announce a new one until sept next year, just in time for holiday orders.
     
  25. kinster macrumors 6502a

    kinster

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #25
    Sell it and get one with a better looking band.
     

Share This Page