should i pay the extra 450 dollar to upgrade from a 2.0ghz macbook pro 15 to the 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Jul 31, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

alright so apple is finally replacing my macbook pro, and they offered if i wanted to upgrade to the 2.2ghz model instead of base model for the new replacement. i wanted anti glare screen high res upgrade too so the prioce was initially 550 but the lady knocked off 50, than another 50 cause i thought half a grand seemed pricy.

none the less 450 dollars for an upgrade from a base to high end, is that worth it? remember it also includes the price of an anti glare screen upgrade to which i also want.

my other option is to stick with a replacement for the same base model i have but im still going to add anti glare which the lady offered to be 100 dollars. 50 less than normal (150).

the most app intensive thing ive used is exporting movies on imovie. i think it took around 8-10mins to export a 720p high deifnition video. im going into university this fall for business so iil be using microsoft office 2011 as well. other than that, its basic stuff, facebook, youtube, email etc etc. the only games i play is like angry birds off the mac app store.

ive considered doing something in graphic design or film but its unlikly i will switch fields.

is it better to save 450 dollars and stick with the base model plus anti glare screen? or will it be beneficial to upgrade to the high res for 450 dollars?

the only thing that is tempting me is that 1gb video card in the high end model lol

the other thing thats holding me back tough is , is there a point in spending more money ona computer with higher specs that i prob wont take advantage of...

also does buying a higher spec computer "future proof" it?

thanks folks!

2. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

If you are going to be a business major, you should become familiar with cost-benefit analysis.

I'd go for the upgrade, personally. But I use every last bit of what my 2.8GHz MBP can do. You probably won't.

Very few technologies are future proof, so ignore that in your C-B table.

Either way, you are spending $100 for the screen. So the question is, do you want to spend $350 for a little extra horsepower?

You'll be fine without it, but it might make some things a bit faster (video processing and converting) and the graphics card will definitely help with massive excel tables.

3. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

im going into first year so im not entirely sure what im getting into lol.

are u in a business degree too?

anyways, generlaly my videos take 10mins to export which seems fast, atleast faster than my old 2010 13 macbook pro that took nearly 45mins to do! LOL

does microsoft excel really kick in the graphics card?

i know things, mainly apps that require more graphic power will seem faster on the 2.2ghz, but im just debating is it worth the extra 350 dollars to do that.

my other thought was, i understand SSD's make a huge speed difference, so i was planning on upgrading to one next year, hoping that the price drops on them a little.

4. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I was an Engineering major as an undergrad, and I'm about to finish my masters right now.

I use my MBP for some pretty complex 3D modeling and Finite Element Analysis, and some pretty involved calculations in Matlab and some in Excel.

Programs like those all utilize graphics cards heavily, because optimization processes are heavy in Matrix math (something graphics cards do almost exclusively). It's much easier to share the load of iterative processes like that with the GPU to help distribute load. At least that's what reps from the companies I work with in those programs have told me. I remember watching GPU activity on my Dell go through the roof when doing complex fixture FEA's on composite sandwich panels.

BIG excel sheets did the same thing on my Dell, and I imagine on my MBP. My last project had an Excel sheet with 31,0xx rows and 80 or 90 columns with some fairly complex steps between them.

IMO, that $350 is worth it for the better graphics card, and call the processor a bonus.

I definitely wish my MBP had more than the NVidia 330M (with 512mb of v-ram). I wish there were a way to upgrade that.

As for an SSD, it will definitely speed up read/write processes (loading, saving, exiting apps), but they aren't cheap and wont do if you require both an optical drive and lots of capacity. A 256Gb drive, I just found out, will set you back almost $500!

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Do you really have to ask this question? If you're not going to be playing a lot of 3D games, then it's not worth the extra cost.

Just an FYI though - if you're a student, the difference between models should be $300 ($1700 vs $2000) from the Apple store. Why are they charging you more?

6. lfshammu macrumors member

Buy a refurbished model. I ordered the 2.2 GHz with the high res anti glare friday, for 2,000. it was 350 off the regular price and from what I've heard all the refurbs are great. this will be my second refurb macbook, the first one was great!

7. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Apple is replacing his current computer, and is offering him the option to upgrade. He isn't buying new.

8. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

300 difference plus the 150 anti glare option

9. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

i know iil be using excel for accounting, however that only requires basic math. Do you know business students who would say a powerful computer is a must in business?

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I graduated with a business degree (accounting) and can tell you that you definitely don't need a high-end computer for a business major.

11. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

If you can afford it and you feel that it's necessary, go for it. Personally I would save that $450 and spend it on an SSD drive. You'll get more value out of that.

12. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah ive thought about that! technically it would be 350 dollars for the higher end one, the extra 150 is for the anti glare which im getting no matter which oe i pick.

would u say an SSD is more worth it than the 1gb video card on the high end model?

13. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

well thats good to know! i assume the programs u would use is microsoft office, excel and those types of this?

btw did you lik taking business? im going into first year

14. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

MS Office is a big one. Other programs depend on your major. I'm not sure whether I'd say I liked it or not...I found the curriculum to be very dry, but useful. Accounting in particular was very difficult. There are many more interesting subjects to study, but they aren't always so practical career-wise. Usually, you can spend a little while taking various classes before choosing a major, so take your time and check out as much as you can before settling. It's really important to find a balance between practicality and something you actually enjoy - so don't be afraid to change paths if need be (to bring out the point, I originally was a Chemistry major, but finished with a degree in Accounting and a minor in Geology, then went to law school lol)

15. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

law school eh? sounds like you'll be living large after you graduate from there lol!

anyways, yeah i chose business cause it seemed interesting to learn about the financial world and also that you can get a decent job after your done.

after watchign youtube and making videos as a hobby for the past couple years, the film/graphic editing kinda field seems interesting. I assume theres tons of people going into that so there owuld be lots ofcompetition, would you say yuo would get a good job out of that?

16. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

If you are not a hard core gamer and don't do a lot of graphics related work, that 1GB videocard would be meaningless. In real world use, you would see an overall increase in performance with an SSD.

17. Performa636CD macrumors member

Maybe right now, but in a few years, a 1GB GPU will probably be the norm and possibly useful depending on what the OP wants to do.

18. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Just go with the screen upgrade do not worry about the extra power. You prob won't miss the extra or need the extra.

19. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

if your asking if its worth it than its usually not.

from your previous posts i can see that you like to emphasis that you paid alot for the computer. if 350 is chump change to you than go for it, go balls out. but if money is as important as you make it seem than i say keep your base model (btw, i recall you saying you loved the standard res or something like that. why the sudden change?)

20. skasol macrumors 6502

I actually bought the 2.0ghz and it's plenty fast. I got the ssd option and the Hr antiglare screen and 8th of ram. I was too offered the option to upgrade but decided that $400 from 2.0 to 2.2 was too high for my use. I haven't had any program where I wish I had the 2.2ghz. Good luck. Like many have said if money is no issue go for it. Money wasn't an issue. Just didn't think it was worth it for me.

21. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

oh the resolution is fine, but since there replaceing it with a brand new one id thought id take the opptornuity to atleast change the screen to see how its like lol

yes well put it this way, how often do you spend about 2000 dollars? macbooks are quite pricy and 350 dollars more is a significant amount on top of that of what i already paid for (1922 with taxes). so i jsut came on here to see if that is well worth the investment, or if its more of something that i may not take advantage of.

thanks for ur input man! does htis change anything?

22. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

sorry dude but u lost all credibility for good advice when you kept asking the same question over and over again (the whole "best buy messed my computer up" etc etc. and btw, im surprised apple is even replacing your computer).

if your saying its already pricey than why are u contemplating this upgrade? if your asking if its worth it than most likely its not. and from all those other posts you made about how great and amazing your 2.0 is, im pretty sure you'll be fine with a 2.0. why pay an 350 to get a graphics card you most likely won't use? so you can say u have an expensive model?

23. theturtle macrumors 6502a

hey i want to be honest with you. you've been irking me with your posts lately.

before you think i have a personal vendetta against you, let me be up front and tell you that i think you're a suspect person.

your going to say "stop creeping" on your posts like you do to every single person that argues with you so let me be clear. you're suspect and a troll.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1200148

you say its for a friend but coincidentally now the opportunity comes up for you? yeah right :rolleyes:

or how bout the good ol' "my brother pooped on my laptop". of course when people brought that up as one of the reasons why your macbook may be messed up, what do you say? "blah blah blah. it was a joke. it never happened etc etc." yet in your original thread you start off with

"i am dead serious this happened or eles i wouldnt be posting this on macrumors."

than in your customer service thread you just posted in, you try to rub it in that you get a new comp.

honestly, your snide and immature. you need to stop posting the same questions over and over again. i could care less if people bash me for saying this but seriously, your annoying. you got a new computer. congrats. now stop bumping your own thread or acting like your asking for a friend.

i recall you giving a high schooler advice saying that HS students don't need a good macbook. wtf what DO YOU NEED it for. Your making super intricate videos? true i feel you.

sorry if this is real jerk off of me but i personally am getting pretty peeved by your constant thread making. its not like your making one thread than listening to the advice of the members. one day you say "yeah, thats what im gonna do" next day, new thread. DUDE. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF ON WHAT YOU NEED.

and btw, i did put you on my ignore list but unfortunately that doesnt delete all traces of your posts/threads.

sorry if this came out a bit mean. cheers pal.

24. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

:(

25. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a