Should I Pull the Trigger on this 2015 rMBP 13 256GB? (£1039) Amazon Third Party Seller

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geokarbou, Mar 22, 2016.

1. geokarbou macrumors member

Hello everyone,

so following yesterday's Apple yawnfest I can't wait any longer for a Skylake refresh because I need a new laptop now.

I was wondering what's your opinion on this model: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-13-In...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A351H7NZY6POKK

It's a 2015 rMBP 13 256gb.

I have read somewhere in here that buying from third party sellers on Amazon is a no-no.

The thing is that, the 256gb model here in Greece, if I were to buy it from an Apple official retailer, costs: 1799€ ($2017 yes it's ridiculous).

On that third party amazon.co.uk seller(which ships in Greece) it costs £1039 (1316€ or $1476) so I save 1799 - 1316 = 483€ / $541. This is huge (sorry for all the currencies but to have a reference).

The seller has a high rating, it is the 2015 model and they say it has EU/UK standard 1 year Apple Care.

What does your experience say? Should I avoid third party amazon sellers altogether and buy it through an Apple store? On the other hand I can't justify spending $541 more, it's crazy.

Edit: I thought I was posting in /buying tips and advice but was mistaken. If the thread is in the wrong place could a moderator move it accordingly please...

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I've bought some smaller items from 3rd party sellers. See if you can find some information about the seller. Like EBay, sellers are often businesses that will have a return policy and what not.

Could you find a retina pro that isn't so over priced?

3. geokarbou thread starter macrumors member

The reviews I read about them and the QnA are all positive.

You mean to find a retina Macbook Pro in Greece that it isn't that over priced? Unfortunately. not

Look at those prices, I can't justify buying from an Apple Store:
    [​IMG]

I would go with my chances with a third party amazon seller. In the end I can always return it and ask for a refund from Amazon. All these sellers fall under Amazon's policies, don't they?

4. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I bought a 2014, 15" 16GB RAM, TB, retina, almost brand new off of an eBay business for $1900, that buys and sells Macs. I got a warranty with him, and was able to get extended warranty under Apple. The laptop came with 3 battery cycles, in box, with everything so new it smelled it.

So if it's a great deal to you, do your research, but follow your gut. Personally I've never had any huge issues with eBay sellers. However, Amazon, I am not too happy with. But some people's experiences are the other way around. Go with your gut.

5. r6mile macrumors 6502

Do they have an Apple refurbished store in Greece? They do in the UK and in Spain for example.

6. geokarbou thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately not.

7. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

I bought a retina MacBook used from a 3rd Party Seller in January. They were an official Apple reseller, which you can check on the Apple website.

Similarly to you, the item cost €1000 where as it would have been €1500 new.

The item had 4 battery cycles, looked absolutely brand new, and is under warranty until January 2017. One of the best purchases I have ever made. iClearancestore was their name.

8. geokarbou thread starter macrumors member

This is listed as brand new, sealed. I'll guess I'll look into it a little more and then probably buy it. I can always return it should there be something wrong.

If it wasn't for such a big difference($541) I would buy it from the official Apple Store here without second thoughts.