Should I refund Kernel’d 2019?

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
300
707
Brisbane Australia
I bought a maxed mbp 2018 and had issues.
After a few months it was replaced with 2019 2.3 8core.

Day 1 I had kernel panic issues as seen at genius appointment.

Now, I have the option of a refund.
Here in Australia it cost $6000

With the rumoured 16” release, Mac Pro possibility, drop in HD prices and IMac hitting refurb store, I’m thinking a refund is best.

It will be hard being without a Mac until sept, first time since I can remember. I have iPad Pro 2018 and can use University Macs if I have any jobs to get done.

Just lost confidence in this series on MBP.
I am not sure jump drive will work well as a solution if working remotely (iPad to iMac/Mac Pro)

Advice/opinions would be great.
Never wanted to be in this situation but may be a blessing if a new model drops.
 
  • Like
Reactions: twanj

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
9,956
4,549
I’m considering the rumoured 16”
Most likely the same thing as the 15" anyway. The reason why I am doubting September is simply because of hardware roadmaps. Any performance-oriented MBP redesign will be conditioned on the wide availability of high-end Ice Lake CPUs, and from what we know, these won't arrive until end of 2019. Also, these laptop would need a GPU update — most likely Navi, but so far there is no info on mobile Navi whatsoever. I am rather sceptical that all this hardware will become available in only two months.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,831
30,345
Boston
until late November at earliest.
Why November?

Most companies shoot for September/October for their Christmas offerings. I think November may be a tad late. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think an October date is more likely.
 

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
9,956
4,549
Why November?

Most companies shoot for September/October for their Christmas offerings. I think November may be a tad late. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think an October date is more likely.
I guess I'm being a bit pessimistic here. All Intel said was "before holiday season". Will they have enough chips to feed a giant like Apple, in addition to all the other brands by October? I'm sceptical, especially given the fact that all leaks we have are smaller 15W quad-core chips. Besides, if Ice Lake were this close, Apple would have surely used it for its 13" MBP refresh. The Dell XPS 13" using Ice lake was supposed to release this month, but so far there are no new and knowing dell, its probably going to be one of those vapourware things anyway, where they release the laptop and then everyone needs to wait two months for the first delivery.

I believe it's likely that they will tease an updated MBP in September, but the actual availability will be much later. Hopefully we will see the entire line migrated to 10nm by the end of the year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

dudeslife

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
96
26
Who would buy any mac now that the scissor keyboard is coming? If that 16 inch sports the same 3 year old defective keyboard, it should be dead in the water except for people who just don't know or care.. Just be patient, maybe pick up a used mac to hold you over until the line is fixed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
300
707
Brisbane Australia
Who would buy any mac now that the scissor keyboard is coming? If that 16 inch sports the same 3 year old defective keyboard, it should be dead in the water except for people who just don't know or care.. Just be patient, maybe pick up a used mac to hold you over until the line is fixed.
That’s what I’m waiting for, just a revised keyboard. Surely they won’t release another butterfly, can’t believe the recent releases still offered it. I will say the 2019 keys were holding up better than the 2018, but I only owned it a short time.

Either way with HD dropping, I think I will do okay even if I repurchase.

I think I will just spend a little on a used for now just to run photoshop, wait and see.
 

dudeslife

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
96
26
That’s what I’m waiting for, just a revised keyboard. Surely they won’t release another butterfly, can’t believe the recent releases still offered it. I will say the 2019 keys were holding up better than the 2018, but I only owned it a short time.

Either way with HD dropping, I think I will do okay even if I repurchase.

I think I will just spend a little on a used for now just to run photoshop, wait and see.
I hope it works out for you. The rumor I heard (marco arment I think) was that the new keyboard would not be implemented in time for the 16 inch as they would have had to known a year ago or more during the design. My biggest fear is that the scissor keyboard will only show up in the ARM macs and apple just allows the defective keyboard to hasten the abandonment of Intel..
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
300
707
Brisbane Australia
I hope it works out for you. The rumor I heard (marco arment I think) was that the new keyboard would not be implemented in time for the 16 inch as they would have had to known a year ago or more during the design. My biggest fear is that the scissor keyboard will only show up in the ARM macs and apple just allows the defective keyboard to hasten the abandonment of Intel..
With the release of the air and 13” having butterfly I fear you are right.
I also think they will be pushed to offer much of a spec bump on the 16. Hopefully, if anything, revised thermals, esc key, power button, upgradeability would have me seriously consider a 16” option even with the dreaded butterfly.
Otherwise I’m seriously close to considering Mac Pro, I have a nice monitor ready, I’d probably only be looking at base model and really need to take time to think about my needs.
iMac 2019 might be all I need.
 

dudeslife

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
96
26
With the release of the air and 13” having butterfly I fear you are right.
I also think they will be pushed to offer much of a spec bump on the 16. Hopefully, if anything, revised thermals, esc key, power button, upgradeability would have me seriously consider a 16” option even with the dreaded butterfly.
Otherwise I’m seriously close to considering Mac Pro, I have a nice monitor ready, I’d probably only be looking at base model and really need to take time to think about my needs.
iMac 2019 might be all I need.
Id love one but the thought of my computer being a desktop nauseates me now.. :) Living in the future, I want to tote my gear.
 

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
561
73
I agree with the advice to buy used to hold you over until the newer models with working/hopefully reliable keyboards are released. Going used means you're not gonna get eaten up by depreciation; you could probably sell it for minimal loss. Much less risk than the likely significant depreciation the '18 & '19 models will experience when the newer models come out. Good luck to people selling those models when 2020 rolls around.
 

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
300
707
Brisbane Australia
I agree with the advice to buy used to hold you over until the newer models with working/hopefully reliable keyboards are released. Going used means you're not gonna get eaten up by depreciation; you could probably sell it for minimal loss. Much less risk than the likely significant depreciation the '18 & '19 models will experience when the newer models come out. Good luck to people selling those models when 2020 rolls around.
That was one of my biggest worries, resale value on this series of MBP will take a big hit I think. There has been too many issues all well reported so people know.
 

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
2,539
1,818
That was one of my biggest worries, resale value on this series of MBP will take a big hit I think. There has been too many issues all well reported so people know.

Agreed. Who would buy a butterfly keyboard model that is 3 1/2 years old knowing how expensive it’s going to be to replace that keyboard. I know not all of them break, but I wouldn’t be keen to take that chance. I’m very careful with my MBPro, but it goes out of the home regularly. Hopefully the 2019 model is fixed, but it’s too early to say IMO.