Should I replace my 3G's battery or use it to get money off a 32GB Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by steviem, Sep 13, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I found my 3G iPod (blue backlit screen, red leds in the 4 buttons) recently.

So I charged it, synced it and it reminded me of how quickly it would sync, as it still syncs with Firewire. (Why did you remove FireWire support Apple! :()

However, the battery life is woeful on it, only 2 hours maximum after a full charge.

With that in mind, should I get a new battery for it, or use it to get 10% off a 32GB Touch? I'm leaning towards getting a battery for it because it was my first Apple product that I ever bought... I just don't know how easy it would be to get a new battery.

2. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I replaced the battery in my 3G when it started lasting around 2hrs as well. The cost of the battery was around $10, and installation wasn't too bad. The hardest part is getting the iPod open without breaking anything. Once it's open, unplug the old battery, plug in the new one, close it, charge it, and have 9hrs of battery life again. The new batteries have a bit longer life than the OEM ones did.

I got mine from ifixit.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Maybe I am not understanding what you wrote, but what do you mean by 3G iPod? 3rd generation ipod nano? iPod shuffle? ipod touch?

Anyway, I would recommend getting new ipod touch for sure because it has so many new features compare to previous gen model. If you want to save some more cash, I would wait a month or two for refurbished model.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When the OP says 3G iPod with row of red buttons, the OP means the 3rd generation iPod, pre-color screen, pre-clickwheel, pre-photos, pre-video, introduced in May 2003 along with the iTunes Music Store.

And the reason FireWire went away, is because back in the day for Apple to offer Windows iPods too, they had to have FireWire and USB chips inside the iPod. When USB 2.0 became prevalent, they no longer needed FireWire as USB could charge it too, and as it is universal (Universal Serial Bus), the USB solution made the most sense for cross platform. Apple was also interested in making the iPods thinner and smaller, and eliminating one of two chipsets allowed them to reduce the space needed to house internal components. It was natural in the evolution of the iPod.