Should I return my 128GB/2GB model for a BTO with 256GB/4GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by duelingdragons, Feb 28, 2011.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Dilemma:

Purchased a MBA last Thursday, love the hardware, but find myself needing a bit more HD space.

Is it worth my trouble to return the one I bought at an Apple Retail Store? If so, how will it work? Will they accept the return and then immediately order me a BTO there, or will they just refund me and leave it all up to me?

Thanks all.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

In Bold

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

That sucks. I'd rather them just charge me the difference. In another weird twist, Apple still hasn't charged me for the laptop, even though I purchased it Thursday.

This is going to be a pain, but probably worth it.
    How long does a BTO w/ 4GB of RAM take to send out?

4. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Some Apple retail stores sell the "Ultimate" configuration of the 13-inch MBA (2.13GHz, 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD), so you wouldn't need to order a BTO online. If you bought your current MBA at the retail store, I guess you could exchange it. But if you bought it online, I don't know if they can do an exchange.

5. namtaB macrumors regular

Not sure. But some stores do have a restocking fee it opened. Make sure you check your receipt for that.

6. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Yes! Look at the 13" MBP, if you don't need the CPU speed, the 13" Ultimate perfection.

Yes, the 11" is tiny... but the 13" MBA Ultimate is (IMO) the best notebook Apple currently offers.

15-17" MBP are just a totally different beast!

7. rugox macrumors regular

The only option you have if you want the 4GB RAM and 256GB upgrade keeping the CPU is to get a refund and repurchase using the CTO from the Apple Online Store. I have already went to Apple stores near me and they DO NOT have the 4GB RAM or larger SSD option on every models.

The other option is to go to the Apple store, get a refund, and get the ultimate model which has the upgrades you want. The only thing is that you will get a 2.13 GHZ CPU which will cost more.

8. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Just thought of something.. how the heck am I going to wipe this drive if I return it?!

9. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

10. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Without an external optical drive, can I just install OSX to a flash drive or w/e?

11. donster28 macrumors 65816

Didn't yours come with the Snow Leopard installation on a flash drive? It should have. Install it from there.

12. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Look in the black square box inside the MacBook Air box. There is a small, thumb drive in it. This is the Software Reinstall Drive.