Should I return my 17" MacBook Pro in hopes of getting the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, May 30, 2012.

  1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #1
    Reaching the end of my return period here in a few days and I'm looking for opinions on if I should return my 17" MacBook Pro I got in hopes of a new one being released at WWDC? How likely is it that a new model will be announced then? And would there be a HUGE difference between a Retina Display and the high resolution screen the 17" already has? That's my main concern really is looking for Retina Display in the next models...what would you guys recommend?
     
  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #2
    i recommend you dont let complete strangers tell you how to spend your 3K

    i also recommend you dont let people on the internet tell you they can predict the future
     
  3. WillEH macrumors 6502a

    WillEH

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    Location:
    United Kingdom
  4. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    #4
    makes more sense to return it and wait. in a month max, you can either buy the same model at a cheaper price or buy the newest model.
     
  5. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #5
    Not letting anyone "tell" me how to spend my money. Just looking for opinions and recommendations as this is a forum designed to help those who have questions concerning MacBook pros is it not? If you can't post any relevant or useful information, then please refrain from posting at all. Thank you.
     
  6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

    Astroboy907

    Joined:
    May 6, 2012
    Location:
    Spaceball One
    #6
    *force hand* You will give your laptop to me.
     
  7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #7
    your not asking for help in comparing 2 real products you looking for answers about a mbp that is not realesed so you essentially thing fortune tellers are lurking this forum

    not one of your questions can be answered with a factual answer
     
  8. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #8
    This is exactly correct - You can't compare a product you have to one that does not exist.


    Having said that the one that will be released in the coming month will be better - at least in terms of IVY Bridge but beyond that no one knows. So I would return it and wait to see what they release. If you do not like it you can always get the previous model refurbished.
     
  9. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #9
    We don't even know if there will be a retina display in the new MBP. I would return it now anyway and see if you like the 2012 model. If not, you can buy the 2011 model for less as a refurbished unit.
     
  10. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

    myrtlebee

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    #10
    With all due respect, this is MacRumors... so I'm not exactly sure why a thread like this would be deemed inappropriate.

    I'd say hold off - just return the thing and wait until WWDC. What do you have to lose that way? Worse case scenario is you don't like the new models and you go back and pick up your current model for a discount. If you go the other route and keep it, there's a 50-50 chance you'll regret your decision to keep it and you'll be SOL as far as getting your full refund. I'm not sure how this can be a hard decision for anyone this close to an announcement.
     
  11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #11
    that statement right there is why i was being a ball buster, its no way at all a hard decission
     
  12. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #12
    Some possibilities:

    1) There's a strong possibility that the 17" MBP is going to be discontinued. Rumors abound to this effect.

    2) Apple's history reveals that in the event they _are_ keeping it in the lineup, it will still arrive months later than the 15". That's the way it's been each time the MBP line has been revamped.

    The current model is excellent, I know I have one. It's the fourth new 17" I've had and I'm completely satisfied. Fully debugged and refined there's no reason not to keep one of these.

    The mentality of having to have the latest, is not always wise or beneficial. Newer is not always better. Here's an example. I bought one of the newly redesigned 2010 MBA's. It was OK, but the 2011 was so much better, that I sold the 2010 and bought a 2011.

    In addition, there's a great likelihood that if Apple does decide to keep the 17" size, the new one may have several bugs and annoyances. If you don't mind going through that, then gamble.
     
  13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #13
    Perfect answer IMHO.
     
  14. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #14
    Thank you very much for your reply there. That's the most helpful thing anyone has yet to say in this thread. I very much appreciate your opinion and advice.
     
  15. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #15
    You're quite welcome :)
     
  16. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

    myrtlebee

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    #16
    I'd be leery of that advice. It seems it was just more on the lines of what you wanted to hear. Why not just return it and wait a couple of weeks to see what plays out? There are two scenarios if you return it, both beneficial: 1) You wait and they reveal an outstanding update which you purchase or 2) You don't like the new model (or the 17 inch is discontinued or stays the same) and you buy the 2011 model at a discount. You'd still be making out either way if you returned it. This is my last post bugging you, but I'm seriously trying to help you out. Just consider this- there is no downside to returning and waiting but there likely will be for keeping it!
     
  17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #17
    id be leery too of people claiming they can see into the future, the bottom line is you either need a computer or you dont, if you dont than you can waith a month or two, if this is the OPs only computer than the question is can you go without one for a month? i cant.. can you?
     
  18. myrtlebee, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

    myrtlebee macrumors 68000

    myrtlebee

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    #18
    Well, number one, I'm not predicting anything. No matter what happens, my advice to return now would be beneficial. Where are you getting a month? The announcement is in less than 2 weeks. Obviously he can go without it or else returning it wouldn't have even been one of his considerations...


    Also, you agreed with me in your last post so I'm not understanding.
     
  19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #19
    i was agreeding with you on the post to about being leary about the poster you quoted only im leary about "that post" preticting the future not yours, as you said you not preticiting anything so not sure how you took that against you rather than agreeing with you
     
  20. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

    myrtlebee

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    #20
    Oh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding!
     
  21. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2011
    Location:
    Essex, england
    #21
    Keep it. It is already probably too powerful for what you probably do on it, anyway. Even if you use things like dreamweaver and adobe anyway ;)

    All I say is that there is no point in upgrading your MacBook pro, as you will see nearly or none noticeable difference.only those with a 13" will probably see te difference as soon as that extra 60% power on the HD 4000 kicks in when they play a game on thier MBP, compared to a 17", which has discreet graphics.
     
  22. ibis99 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    #22
    Yes
     
  23. PaulCostello macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    #23
    LOL! I so agree. If you need now buy now, if you can wait, wait. Either way your gonna own a very powerful and capable machine. Good luck
     
  24. baypharm macrumors 65816

    baypharm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #24
    Well I am not a fan of buying something NEW then returning it USED thereby forcing the retailer to sell it as USED/REFURB. Just smacks of unethical behavior to me. Seems like the smart thing to have done in the beginning was to post your question here FIRST before buying anything....

    Additionally, these questions are all over this forum: should I buy this one, should I buy that one, when is a good time to buy, what if....this forum is stagnated with very similar questions posed by others like you.
     
  25. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #25
    And yet again I say that this is a forum for people who have questions about MacBook Pro's...doesn't matter if a question is asked once or a thousand times...this is the place to do it. Once again, if you can't post any helpful information related to my questions, then please dont post at all. Thank You.
     

Share This Page