Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
So my new unit has a wee bit of book spine in the left side and some backlight bleeding issues (especially noticeable in one spot). The backlight issue is quite pronounced if you ramp up the brightness in the darkness, but who honestly does that?

It has no dead pixels, dents or other glaring issues, and I've heard quite a few of them have.

So my options are this: return it to the online third party retailer and wait a week to hear their verdict on whether it's worthy of a swap (and risk getting a potentially worse swap sent back), or take it to the Apple Store and beg and plead them to change units. Alternatively, stop caring and be happy with my iPad Air 2.

So, what's your ideas? Am I too picky, and are the chances of a "perect" unit slim to none?

Add: went into an authorized dealer today on my way home and, sure enough, the Air 2 display model had book spine as well. Might as well just accept my fate instead of jinxing it for dead pixels :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have owned iPads 1-3, an original mini, iPad Air 1&2. Never had a dead pixel or screen unevenness problem. Backlight breeding, I've never checked for, but never had any unit that bothered me under normal use.

I think your best bet is to take it to an Apple Store. If they think your unit has problems beyond acceptable deviance, they'll exchange it. If they think it's within acceptable deviance, you'll know that for a fact.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
After spending a serious amount of cash on my iPad Air I'd want it as defect free as possible.

I agree. Apple is considered a premium product and they are priced as such. Nothing short of perfection would satisfy me. My Air happens to be perfect and that's why I kept it.

Get another one, don't put up with any BS. Too much money spent for that.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
I have a Genius Bar appointment this Tuesday. I'll try pester them into giving me a flawless unit then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.