Should I say or should I go....

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by evildead, Aug 8, 2001.

  1. evildead macrumors 65816


    Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    I am thinking of buying a New QuickSilver soon. But there has been a lot of talk about new enclosures and 1Ghz processors. I am torn if I should wait or buy now. I mean... I cant waite for ever. I well just end up waiting for the next big thing after that. I know that The G5 is still far off. I hear things about September. Any rumors out there about the G4...

    The config I want:

    867 G4
    CD-RW dirve (no super dirve)
    1 Gig of RAM extra (3rd party RAM)
    iSub and Soudsicks
    17' LCD
    5 port USB 2.0 PCI card

    .... what to do?
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus


    Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    what else more do u need??

    What more could you possibly need on a computer? The tests have already proved the 867 G4 to be faster than 1.7 Ghz! You would have a beast of a machine if you got that configuration. I seriously doubt u are going to miss out on much if you buy now and they come out with something even slightly faster. Is staying on top of the absolute newest model that important?
  3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a


    Jul 7, 2001
    it depends

    on what computer you have now. If you have a G3, then maybe wait a couple of months. has some very interesting info (err, rumors) on G5 processors and when they could be released. If you can wait until San Francisco 2002, then do it. On the other hand, waiting is not always good. I am very glad that I bought a dual 533 mac when I did. I want/need dual processors to be as fast as photoshop and FCP can be, but I didn't want to pay a premium. If I had waited, I would have had to pay 3500 for a dual 800. Yes it would have had the superdrive, but you know what? QPS has one for about $600. I am very pleased with my purchase. You just have to be smart and get lucky. Do some research.

  4. evildead thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    Good point

    That would be one hell of a Computer. Even if Apple does bump it up to 1Ghz... it wont be that big of a diffrence. I have an Origional Bondi Blue iMac with a 466 G3 Upgrade in it. 193 megs of RAM and an imbassing 4 gig Drive. I have a Qps USB 4x CD-RW hooked to it too. USB is great for periferals like Zip, scanners, priters, ect... but not bandwith hogs like CD-R's. I am looking forward to the built in 8x on in the Config I want to get. I get a lot of buffer overrun erros when I burn. I have to unplug all my USB devices and my USB hubs to get it to work right(thats why I want to get a USB 2.0 PCI card so I dont have to dasy chain 2 hubs off of the 2 USB ports that are on the same circit that I have. And I run out of Disk space on an almost daily bais. I suppose that I could just get a new HD and wait it out for a while.. but I dont think that I could wait for the G5. Thanks for the help :)

  5. Shaft macrumors newbie

    Aug 3, 2001
    Go for it....

    Ok it's always the same thing....If you wait you'll get the better machine. But thats not the point. There will always be a better machine. Think about what you need. A 867 is an amazing machine!!! Think about the possibilities .....DVD/R , PowerGraphics . Thats a really good deal....

    So if I would be in your position I would buy that beast.

    So long


Share This Page