iPad Should I Sell iPad Air 64 Cellular and Buy Air 2 Wifi for Same Price?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redman042, Oct 18, 2014.

1. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Looking for thoughts/opinions on this...

Would you sell an original iPad Air with cellular on eBay and upgrade to a wifi-only Air 2 for the same price? The sacrifice would be having to use tethering when away from home, and no GPS. The benefit would be better speed, likely an extra gig of RAM, better display, and TouchID. I would also save $10/mo by not having my Air on my AT&T Moble Share plan. The cost of the upgrade would only be taxes and eBay fees. That's pretty tempting.

I own an iPad Air, 64 GB, Space Grey, Cellular. It's in pristine condition. These are currently selling for nearly $600 on eBay. Apple is continuing to sell the Air 1 at $100 off, but not the 64GB model, which is helping with the value.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to the Air 2. I don't really NEED to. But for what I do with it, I would definitely benefit from the extra CPU horsepower and the extra RAM (not confirmed, but there was a teardown of a leaked unit recently and it showed 2 GB).

I have some experience using tethering on my daughters wifi iPad. It's not perfect - takes a little fiddling to get it to connect sometimes. I understand iOS8.1 will help with this. I will test this before I make any decision. I also know that the iPhone gets warm and sucks battery when in hotspot mode. But most of my tethering is near a power source.

Still, it's a tough call.

2. Frankras macrumors newbie

Just remove the sim from Your Ipad Air and use it like that and save the Money if you really dont need the exstra speed.

/Frank

3. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Then I wouldn't do it. It's hard to resist the shiny new product each launch day, but if you don't have a reason for it then I wouldn't do it. The Air is hardly worth upgrading to the 2 unless you have a real need for the hardware inside.

Your post makes it seem like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to justify this upgrade. It's really not as substantial as Apple makes it out to be. The little upgrades are excellent but I wouldn't upgrade to an Air 2 if I had an Air 1. Tablets should have more than a year of life from them.

4. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

I would benefit from the added speed and RAM if I upgraded. It's not huge but it would matter.

I guess what would help is hearing from people who switched from a cellular iPad to tethering with a wifi ipad and how that ended up going.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would wait at least until the Air 2 teardown.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was thinking the same thing. If you have to go through all these changes just wait for a bit.

----------

Yeah if I cant swing the extra cash for a cellular hrumph... Its probably best to wait.

7. 617aircav Suspended

OP do it. As long as you are happy. That's all that matters.