Should I sell my 13" MBA for $1200 and save for the new MBA's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SR71, Jun 29, 2011.

  1. SR71 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    Well, I've got someone who wants to buy my 13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD MBA for $1200. I bought this MBA refurbished so I only paid $1189, so if I were to sell it for $1200, I'd be making a slight profit.

    If I sold my current MBA for $1200, I'd save up that money to buy the new MBA's that are expected to come out in a few weeks, but I would be getting the same model MBA when the new ones are out (13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD).

    I currently do not do much work on my MBA -- web browsing, email, Twitter, Facebook, and some very light gaming -- so I don't know if I should even bother making the switch or just wait until next year (October 2012) when Apple will most likely do another refresh (I'm basing this on what happened in the past).

    So, what do you guys think? Sell the MBA or don't even bother selling it?

    Thanks in advance! :)
     
  2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

    Eggtastic

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    NJ
    #2
    if you can make a slight profit from your current machine (which is rare being used), then go for it. For your uses i don't think the new machines would be that large of a difference (maybe the gaming part but there have been people talking about the graphics chip or something), but there is always the chance of the blacklit keyboard + more battery life.

    the next refresh is far away and if you keep waiting to have the newest thing youll wait forever.

    good luck man!
     
  3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

    ritmomundo

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #3
    You would be making 11 bucks off your current machine, but you'll probably end up spending a couple hundred more to get the new MBA with the same specs (right now, the MBA 13" with 4gb RAM and 128gb SSD is $1399 + tax. I would expect the new one to be similarly priced, depending on what specs apple decides to come out with). If the main changes (SB, thunderbolt, etc) are worth the extra money, then definitely go for it. if your current machine fits your needs perfectly, then dont bother going through the hassle.
     
  4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #4
    You know what? I've decided that I'll just keep this current MBA and upgrade in the future, but not now. Maybe in year or two or three when the next next refresh is, I'll consider buying that one, but for what I do on my current MBA, it works great and I'm happy with it.

    :)
     
  5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #5
    Not sure why some people are having a hard time believing with MBA's short battery life. This thing is so thin. 13 inch gets around 6-7 hours of battery life, but 11 inch is only lasting me 4-5 hours.

    Backlit keyboard ain't coming back to MBA anytime soon...

    Not sure why this feature is so freaking important. I don't look at keyboard while I type.

    If only new MBA had ATI or Nvidia GPU... intel HD 3000 doesn't worth anything for me. I am not going to take a step backward to GPU.
     
  6. satkin2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    #6
    If you can make a profit and live without it until the MBA refresh then its a great deal for you.
     
  7. robertpolson macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #7
    I was in the similar situation as you are and I simply decided to keep my MBA 13 4GB as it does what I need vey well and spending extra hundreds on an occasional boost in CPU is not worth it. Instead, I will wait for the next big refresh and spend $300 on summer adventure :)
     
  8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #8
    Well that's great. In ANY situation, when dealing with selling of used items, if you can sell for the same or more than you bought, I'd go for it. Personally I "finally" sold my upgraded Blackbook for the same I bought it. Luckily for me I worked a little over the summer so I can afford to get a new MBP or the new air depending on how good it is.

    It's great you're keeping your current model though; since you aren't doing anything really CPU intensive, I don't think you'll see that much of an upgrade going to the SNB model.
     

Share This Page