iPad mini Should I sell my 1st Gen. iPad Mini?

heyitsmeneil

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Philippines
I use my iPad for facebook, twitter, instagram and slightly heavy games like Gta and real racing 3. Sometimes I experience crashes, and lags but i dont mind it I bought my iPad november last year and its almost 6 months old right now that time i know nothing about specs and everything like that. now the lags are getting worse. and the low res screen kinda irritates me.

should i sell it right now immediately? to buy the new mini? is it worth it? or wait for this year's upgrade of the mini? touch id maybe? ios 8?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
should i sell it right now immediately? to buy the new mini? is it worth it? or wait for this year's upgrade of the mini? touch id maybe? ios 8?
Worth is subjective, to me the rMini which offers a superior screen better CPU/GPU is worth it. If you choose to wait, you'll be waiting until the fall, is that something you're willing to do?

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
I say no. Keep it....i had a 1st gen 32gig lte mini that i loved..but i sold it on craigslist cuz i bought a 32 gig verizon retina mini from best buy dirt cheap cuz of a price error..otherwise i wudda kept it..
My observations about the 2...
Sound thru 1st gen speakers much louder then rmini
Colors look exactly the same on both cuz of same color gamut
Real racing 3 plays same on both..
Text is sharper on rmini but just turn 1st gen to landscape mode and text will look fine
More detail on rmini while watching movies...u wont notice it too much watching 1st gen by itself but put em next to each other and rmini looks much better.
Ios 7 home screen crashes on the rmini. Even after the 7.1 update...also tab reloads too. On the ios 6 on my 1st gen it never crashed....not sure about tab reloads tho..never checked...
I mainly surf the net..youtube...spotify...and i never notices the a5 processor
slower than the a7
If it were me i wud not upgrade til the mini 3 comes out in october maybe...and only upgrade if they raise the color gamet to close to 100 %
And never update your 1st gen to ios7. Keep ios 6 on there

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you're someone who appreciates the retina screen then sell right away and never look back. I still think the iPad 2 and mini 1 perform good enough for most tasks, but I don't care much for those displays anymore.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Worth is subjective, to me the rMini which offers a superior screen better CPU/GPU is worth it. If you choose to wait, you'll be waiting until the fall, is that something you're willing to do?
To add to this...

Remember that if you wait until the next Mini is released the value of your original Mini will continue to diminish.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To add to this...

Remember that if you wait until the next Mini is released the value of your original Mini will continue to diminish.
The value of his mini won't diminish that much more now, but if the next Mini has 2GB RAM, the current rMini will be viewed similarly to the iPad 3 in the face of the iPad 4.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I have a first gen mini I purchased right after the retina came out for a good price ($400) for 16gb including tax) and like it so far. Although my iPhone has spoiled me I don't mind the lack of retina but I do mind the lack of ram. I use mine for Facebook, messenger, instagram, heavy web browsing, and music control for airplay. I would purchase a new iPad Mini when a) gold comes out b) touch id c) more ram

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If you're in it for the long haul try to do a clean factory reset and see if it helps. Don't restore from backup if you can help it. You'll have to rebuild everything (library, etc) but it would be worth it if you don't plan on selling. I would probably just keep it because I know it's possible for it to run without terrible crashes and lags on iOS 7.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I have a first gen mini I purchased right after the retina came out for a good price ($400) for 16gb including tax) and like it so far. Although my iPhone has spoiled me I don't mind the lack of retina but I do mind the lack of ram. I use mine for Facebook, messenger, instagram, heavy web browsing, and music control for airplay. I would purchase a new iPad Mini when a) gold comes out b) touch id c) more ram
How was paying more for the mini than when it was new a good price? :confused:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
To add to this...

It will diminish but I suspect the rate of depreciation is not going to be huge, but it will be there.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Hell no. I bought iPad mini 32GB+4G new with discount for 250 euros. However iPad mini and iOS 7.1 was worser than with iOS 6 performance wise. Sold because couldn't stand those performance issues. Bought iPad air 16GB+4G and I'm really happy. Don't waste your money for really old device knowing that its hardware specifications are too low. Still there is some performance issues on iPad air but not like it was with mini.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I think the original MINI (16GB) is worth about $200. today and should be worth right around $200. a year from now.
Whatever price drop takes place will be minimal.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
I did. Just because I wanted to get rid of any remaining A5 devices. Too slow for my usage and the screen sucks in my opinion.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I use my iPad for facebook, twitter, instagram and slightly heavy games like Gta and real racing 3. Sometimes I experience crashes, and lags but i dont mind it I bought my iPad november last year and its almost 6 months old right now that time i know nothing about specs and everything like that. now the lags are getting worse. and the low res screen kinda irritates me.

If I were you, I'd wait until the next mini comes out. Until than, try to optimize your mini, delete unnecessary stuff or try a restore for best results. And real racing 3 and GTA are very playable even on iphone 4. My brother's girlfriend has 64gb mini 1 and with 7.1 the lag is pretty much gone.