Should I sell my 2010 13" C2D MBP and upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tinkori, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. tinkori macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #1
    I got a new 2010 13" MBP (2.4Ghz C2D) a few months back for a very good price and I upgraded it to 8GB RAM and 120GB Intel SSD drive.

    My workload on this machine includes doing some programming (using IDEs like xcode, eclipse etc) and I mostly use using vim/emacs. Occasionally I process pictures in Lightroom. Also I have a i7-2600k based Linux box.

    I could sell this and put in a little more money and get a 2011 MBP or MBA, or I could keep using this and upgrade next year.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #2
    Get the new MBP and keep your parts. A 2011 MBP with an SSD along with 8GB RAM will be an excellent machine.
     
  3. wegster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    #3
    So, rather than advising spending your presumably hard-earned money, I'll just ask - what is the current C2D MBP not doing as well as you'd like it to?

    What's your primary use for the MBP vs the Linux system? With or without an external display? (for eclipse, I really prefer higher vertical resolution, but if attached to an external LCD, or occasional vim use, no problems..) ???

    Moving to a newer 13" MBP won't gain resolution, and if only running eclipse, I doubt you *need* more speed at this point, and you've got RAM and SSD covered.. ?
     
  4. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Location:
    Detroit, MI
    #4
  5. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #5
    Thanks .... very reasonable question and viewpoints.

    My Linux box runs a few VMs with different stuff on each. Also it is my file server (SSD for boot and platters for store). MBP is more like the front end machine + some xcode/eclipse :) I have a pro quality 24" (IPS screen) that connects to both my server and my MBP when I need the large screen (for coding or photo edits).

    To be honest, I think the C2D doing my front end work pretty well. I have seen some slowdown for processing 100 odd images but that is not a common use. In general, my upgraded MBP is still very responsive for light development work (due to the SSD) so I dont have a real need.

    Two things made me consider the upgrade:
    * The only real issue with this setup is the weight. I am entered macdom from the thinkpads (the ultraportable X series) so I am getting a little enamoured by the 11.6 MBA but at this point I am not happy about the lack of memory upgrades ...
    * The future resale value of this machine + a new 2012/2013 MBA/MBP vs spending a few 100 now (assuming it can be sold for a decent price) with a sandy bridge and not having to upgrade for 2-3 yrs.
     
  6. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #6
    Agree ... though if I go that route, I would love to get the SATAIII SSDs .... :)
     
  7. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #7
    Thx .... interesting. This will affect my decision for sure :)
     
  8. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

    thinkinblue613

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Location:
    Planet Earth
    #8
    Upgrading from C2D is definitely worth it if you have the money. The benchmark scores alone made me do it and I couldn't be happier.

    Keep the upgrades and go for it!
     
  9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #9
    Try considering selling your current rig with the Intel SSD you have and see if you can put the money difference towards a SATA III. Or you could sell the SSD itself here on the marketplace since most of us like SSDs very much and would be willing to pay a good price for one.
     
  10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #10
    Except the OP doesn't qualify to use the Marketplace yet.
     
  11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #11
    Ehh, I just realized that. Try eBay. Craigslist could be a hit or miss, but with something as specialized as SSDs, I wouldn't bet on it.
     
  12. wegster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    #12
    This is kinda tough, and I was in a similar situation - had been using a 13" MB with 6GB RAM for a few years, with external LCD. It was enough to run a VM or two, but the screen res drove me insane when I had to present occasionally from it and it wasn't scaling an external projector nicely - presenting in 1280x800 = meh. :-/ For me, it was mostly quick enough, mostly portable enough, but USB gave up the ghost on it, so I needed a replacement *now* as I use a USB based security device, and do a lot of skype calls and usb headsets in general work better than line/in and out under OSX in my experience (never sure why, but it seems to be so). I picked up a very lightly used 2011 MBP, 2.3/quad, AG, 1GB VRAM/hi-res, 7200RPM BTO, basically the highest end 15" available sans SSD. It's a *nice* machine, and SNB is quite a bit faster than the C2D, while within the entire run of C2Ds, there wasn't really much 'justification' to upgrade, except for max RAM supported (vms..).

    I would have probably preferred to wait to see what the next refresh brings, were I able to, simply because I don't think it's that far off, and while yeah, I do use the extra 2GB of RAM, and like the higher res, that will certainly be there on the next gen. The only thing I'm not liking on the new/current model is the heat dissipation - with an external display connected, my 'idle' (I don't shut down or reboot daily, generally it's my desktop replacement, so stays up a week or so if not longer at a time, the usual apps - eclipse, multiple browsers, docs in various formats, Mail, sometimes with a DB or other server running, etc.) is generally 70-75*C, fans at 3k or so, sitting on an elevated stand with the rear raised up further. If the next gen adds USB3 and lowers temps/improves cooling, or adds a second TBolt port and we start seeing use of them (good bandwidth, just not much to plug in at the moment of use), I might be kicking myself a bit. Of course, if the next gen/refresh just removes the optical drive to shave a few pounds, and gains some 10-20% performance - it's an overall wash/no real difference to me except loss of a slot for optibay.

    If my MB hadn't been ready to give up the ghost, and I was buying 100% out of pocket on a brand new system, I would have personally tried to wait until Ivy Bridge, as we should get USB3, PCIE3, possibly lowered temps, and likely whatever the 'next form factor' is coming from Apple. As it is, I tend to try to keep my systems for at least 3 years, will move to SSD and optibay within a year, and go from 8->16GB once prices drop, and assuming thermals don't cause these systems to have a shortened lifespan, the only thing I think I'll likely be really 'missing' is USB3, a bit of weight at the benefit of optibay instead (a win for me, maybe not for you) vs what I expect released next.

    Now, as you said you're coming from ultra-portables, I agree - an MBA is cool, but likely can't yet really replace the Pro based on max RAM alone. The next gen pro *may* well get you there - an 8GB 13" Air with a storage bump, with enough dongles (gigethernet mainly, no 10/100 please) could be pretty compelling even vs my 15" quad monster, to me - but it's not here yet/not 'enough,' and it seems not for you either, so it's down to waiting to see what the next gen Pros bring.

    Anyway, sorry for the long post - it irks me when people are anxious for others to buy what they did without always considering it's real $ and someone else's needs may not be the same as their own. If you move from C2D to current i5/i7 - the speed improvement is insanely nice, and I'd consider bringing your Sata-II SSD over to it - yes, it will benchmark slower vs a Sata-III, but will you really notice it in most cases? Likely not except for virtual d1ck comparisons...and now that the 13" i7s are available, the C2Ds are already taking a fairly big $ hit.

    You didn't mention how 'portable'/mobile you really are day in and day out - while I'll admit the thought of an 8GB 256GB SSD MBA might have made me consider one over my quad monster 15", I think you'll adjust pretty easily mobility-wise with your C2D 13" Pro, even if occasionally you were wishing it were slightly lighter/sleeker/etc.
     
  13. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #13
    Thanks. Lets see if someone on Craigs buys it for a decent price (Kind of bored of paying ebay/paypal huge cuts :)) If that happens, then hello Sandy Bridge, else hello Ivy!

     

Share This Page