Should I sell my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro for a 13" MacBook Air and an iPad Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinnabun93, Jun 6, 2014.

1. cinnabun93 macrumors newbie

cinnabun93

I have a 2.6GHz quad core macbook pro retina with 8gb of ram and 512gb ssd and I was debating on selling it for school and getting a 13" MBA and a iPad air. I have an iPad 2 but I was thinking about giving it to my dad if I switch. What are your honest thoughts. I'll mainly be using it for business administration at my school. I used to build pc's and game on them so I thought I needed a lot of power but all I do now is browse the web and do some other stuff. Thanks!

2. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

If you want to sell your rMBP and do that, then it's entirely up to you. I don't understand these threads when people ask other people what they should do. You paid the money for it in the end so do what you want to do. The fact that you are asking other people's opinions about your own needs, shows you are unsure and are just looking for a reason to buy a new MacBook and iPad. Look at the pros and cons, it's your money In the end. Do you need a new MacBook and iPad, or do you want a new MacBook and iPad?

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd keep the retina macbook pro as it is one device that does everything you need it to while looking great.

The iPad in some occasions is comfortable to use like reading an article, pdf, or books but to me its so uncomfortable typing on the thing. I own the iPad 4 + a 15" macbook pro 2011 version and at times I wished I could just sell both and get the newest 13" macbook pro with retina.

Also the macbook air is very nice but the display on the thing is not nearly as good as the iPad or the 13"/15" retina. TN panels looks so washed out compared to the IPS panels in both. I bought the 13" MBA but ended up returning it.