Should I sell my 2014 13" Macbook air for a Macbook retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely love my air. I love how perfectly my wrists fit while I am typing, and love how fast that it is. I take all of my college notes with my air and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. This is my first mac after owning windows laptops for years that did nothing but get various viruses and spyware on it constantly. I also own an iPhone 6 plus and an iPad Air 2. I love the retina. The screen on the Macbook Air doesn't bother me, though I do wish it was retina. I'm not even sure what I can get on my base model 2014 Macbook Air. What do you all think?

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Only you can tell if the performance hit, money, and screen size are to you worth the sexiness, lightness, and screen. Can only suggest you go in to a store and have a good play with one.

3. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

You're in college, you love your computer. You probably need money more than you need a new toy. Save your money.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Have you seen one in person yet? If not, go see one! Only you can decide. With that said, you will love it if you love the Airs.

----------

Lies. College is when you can be reckless with money. You do not have real responsibilities.

5. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

... and you don't have money either. Unless you count the $100,000 in loans that you'll spend half of your career paying off.

6. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Short answer. Yes. I couldn't do non retina. I tried to save money. But I'll float the $200 difference between what I have and the new MacBook. Air is going back. And 15.4 is up for grabs.

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Realistically, how much could I get out of my Air? It's in perfect condition.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You should not sell your MBA.
    Nobody knows how rMB performs in real life and you would spend some extra on it? Noway.

9. Darkknight59 macrumors newbie

Darkknight59

Have to agree...while waiting to try Apple watch (pre-order 2), I toyed around with the MBR and was blown away...ordered one and now selling my Mid 2012 MBA.......However ship date is from May 13-29..:eek:

10. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Well I had bought a 2015 Air a week ago and immediately returned it as soon as I played with the rMB. It all depends on what you need. I don't sacrifice much in power because it is a second computer, and will be used just for Office, email and internet - I travel a lot and the lighter weight and smaller size (plus the beautiful screen) made it worth the extra money for me.

11. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

I just bought the new rMB, and am selling a 3-yr-old Air to do it. But I've been out of college for 20yrs, and am established in a career. If I were in college, I wouldn't do it. If you've got something that works, stick with it. In a few years, the rMB line will still be out and will be even better.

I wouldn't sell your Air, if I were in your shoes.

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Well the base 13" is on sale for $819 at B$H Photo (was $800 two days ago). You could probably get $700 for it locally but it depends on the area you are in.
    That's how much I sold mine for last week.

13. jemesouviens macrumors member

Probably an idea to wait for the early adopters to beta test it before buying.

But then the Macbook's not for me anyway - way too girly.

14. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, this is a consideration for a v1 product release. The 2014 MBA is a very stable, well-proven machine. Unless it's demonstrating some real problems doing what the OP needs, it should be a keeper for at least the rest of college.

15. vanimal macrumors 6502a

HEY NOW!:D

Just kidding, i felt the same I'm a bigger muscular fella and it felt small to me at first sight. Beautiful, but small. I can almost palm pick it up laying flat with my fingers curled around the sides, i have big paws :eek:

Im still on the fence, I'm going back and forth. I can't decide!:eek: The whole not in stock or delayed shipping is not helping either lol.

16. ultrakyo macrumors newbie

Unless you have a good disposable income I suggest to hold off with MBA 2014. You will not gain much by switching to rMB other than the retina display and it's new physical features. It will be better for you to hold on to your current MBA and perhaps reconsider again on next rMB release.

17. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Answer the following:

Are you trying to talk yourself into it, or are you trying to talk yourself out of it?

If it's the former, stick with what you have. If it's the latter, get it over with now to minimize the distraction.

18. vanimal, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

vanimal macrumors 6502a

What advice would you guys give someone who recently bought a 2015 MBA and still within the return period? I bought one for "family" use. I was able to get it for $908 at BB via discount out the door. Is the extra $355 cash via the 10% discount worth returning the MBA 13.3" and getting the MBR? I actually have not even opened it yet.

The only problem i have is the MBR is actually MORE expensive than the 2015 MBPR 13.3" base model at Best Buy as its currently on sale for $1234. Obviously heavier, but this machine will be used 95% at home. And this whole delay on the MBR isn't helping the cause lol.

I still find the 2015 MBPR a pretty slim machine for its power.

19. Anand953 macrumors regular

Save your money ! MacBook can wait for couple of years more

20. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

And see my post above. Unless you REALLY need the portability.." Or the retina display, what will the new MacBook do for you that the Mba does not?

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No...unless it will get you more attention from co-eds.

22. vanimal, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

vanimal macrumors 6502a

This!!! If you are a male & this will be a conversation starter to aPYT, " pretty young thing". By all means in that case ##

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yep! I haven't been out of college THAT long!:eek:

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No keep your Air it`s more far more flexible, as others have stated the Retina MacBook is a very new product with little to no real world usage to measure against.

Q-6