Should I sell my 2014 13" Macbook Air for a Macbook Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely love my air. I love how perfectly my wrists fit while I am typing, and love how fast that it is. I take all of my college notes with my air and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. This is my first mac after owning windows laptops for years that did nothing but get various viruses and spyware on it constantly. I also own an iPhone 6 plus and an iPad Air 2. I love the retina. The screen on the Macbook Air doesn't bother me, though I do wish it was retina. I'm not even sure what I can get on my base model 2014 Macbook Air. What do you all think?

2. kingdf macrumors regular

I'd say keep the Air. I just sold my 2013 13" rMBP for $1K cash and bought a 2015 11" MBA because I preferred the size to it. Plus it has USB ports. USB-C is so new and ur gonna be spending money on connectors to use it if you wanna multitask. I heard that the new Macbook is slower than the current MBPs and MBAs too.

I also have an iPhone 6+ and have no issues using both.

3. gpspad macrumors 6502

The macbook air's stemlike you get more options, only downside may be the magsafe charger.

If the iphone uses a usb-c, suddenly the macbook retina might look more attractive.

4. mikeray macrumors regular

If you can afford the new Retina MacBook, just get it. It offers the same resolution as the 13-inch Air 1440x900. You could probably sell your laptop for around $900 give or take.

5. newellj macrumors 601

6. dyt1983, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The differential will be usd$600. You got the dough, and the single-port doesn't bother you, DO IT.

8. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before my 13" air I had the 11" and I didn't like it because my wrists felt cramped and I thought that it was too small. So, I am kind of worried the same could be said for the rmb. Would I be better off buying a 2013 refurbished macbook pro? They are 899 right now. Was the latest mac book pro update worth buying it new?

9. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

only real difference is force touch and 1 extra hour of better

10. motrek macrumors 68020

1 hour more battery under light load. Several hours under heavier load.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Keep it... It'll cost you a lot to upgrade, and for what? To replace a computer that you say you love? It's just lust for something new, not something that'll actually be better for you.

12. newellj macrumors 601

I agree with this.

Take this coming from a guy who has tried three times with the MBA and really doesn't like them: you should keep your MBA. You like it. It works well for you. And you already own it. :cool:

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would also vote for keeping your current MBA. You seem to be really happy with it and being a 2014 model it's still pretty recent. You'll get some good use from it. Why mess with a good thing?

14. Sophrosyne macrumors member

Keep it. I love my MBA 2014 and iPhone 6 Plus combo.

15. g.t. rags macrumors regular

nothing wrong with the 14 models.... mine is over a year old and runs like the day i took it out of the box

16. torana355 macrumors 68020

Ive got a 2011 MBA and im going to buy a new 2015 MBA to replace it. Im not fussed with a retina display especially when i know it will affect performance like it does with the rMBP's.

17. gmintz09 macrumors member

Why are you even considering selling it if you love it so much? Just curious ;) If there isn't anything wrong with it, I wouldn't even consider trading my own laptop in. The new MacBook is gorgeous, but it's just not worth the money for what it does right now. It's a first generation product, meaning there will be issues somewhere along the line. The lack of ports seriously bothers me, and I don't even consider myself a heavy port user. I think if it was a little bit cheaper and had maybe a couple more ports, I'd say it's a good argument, but right now, not so much.

18. FibroidPuppy macrumors newbie

Don't do it. It's nowhere near as powerful as your MBA

19. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Keep it, if you like the macbook that much goto where ever they're selling it and play with it, drool over it and than realize that your MBA is much more powerful, more ports, and longer battery.

As for what your macbook air is worth you could look at refurbished one's on apples site that are the same configuration as your's, do you have Applecare on your's ? How many times has the battery been charged, or I think they call it power cycles.

I sold my MBA and kinda miss it for the battery life, the TN panel / screen is not that bad in my opinion. A laptop is meant to be portable and should be able to hold a charge and for a really decent time 8 hours if not more

Good Luck in your choice and sale