Should I sell my 4S Before Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmbraceTheOne, Jun 5, 2013.

1. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Hey guys;

I bought my 4S brand new 2 years ago when it was first released. (Got it on Launch day).

It worked great till about 5 months ago. My Sleep/Wake button no longer works. I've been dealing with no sleep button for the longest time, and now it's getting on my nerves.

My question is, With my upgrade quickly approaching, should I get my 4S replaced for 150$ by Verizon (Insurance company) or 200$ by apple, then sell the phone on ebay/craigslist?

My thinking, if I spend 200$ to get a new 4S, I could then turn around and sell the "New" replaced 4S for more than 200$? Then go ahead and buy my upgrade with the money I got?

What do you guys think?

----------

Thinking I could get it replaced, and then sell the new/refurbished 4S for $300+.

2. Bear macrumors G3

If it is broken, get it fixed/replaced.

Sell it when you get your new phone. If you sold it now, you could be without a phone for months.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I just replaced the sleep/wake button switch for £3.50 and about 40mins fixit time, it's a breeze to do and will save you a bomb, the price diff between a 'like new' and 'used but mint' 4S on ebay is negligible.

4. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Id like to get the entire thing replaced. It's getting slow. And the screen has a couple marks.

----------

If I sell it now, My upgrade is June 12th. I'm leaning heavily towards S4. (Don't kill me). Waiting to see what iOS7 has in store.

Will me fixing it, then selling it be worth the profit?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There is this misconception that age slows down computer hardware. The only thing slowing it down is software. The hardware you get as a replacement is going to be identical to that which you bought two years ago. I am not saying this to try and sway you one way or the other necessarily, but don't make a decision on a "new" replacement because yours is "getting slow".

As far as replacing the button yourself, if you have never tinkered with taking apart electronics, I wouldn't recommend it. I am not saying it's difficult, but you can easily mess something up, such as accidentally tear a cable, and I feel those who have NEVER done anything like this on any device are more prone to this. Depending on where you live, they do have kiosks in the mall that will replace a home button for about $40 (obviously depends on the specific kiosk). That is another way to go, if you choose, and would be far cheaper than the $150+ to pay to replace the entire phone.

If you do replace the phone, the $150 from insurance (I assume Assurion) is going to be a refurb phone that they fixed up, more than likely. I have read mixed reviews with assurion replacements; some people have said it was clearly a used device. Apple, for $200, will give you a brand new phone, for all intents and purposes. It will look, feel, and smell like a new phone. They call it refurbished, and there is some debate online as to whether they are actually refurbs or not, but as far as the physical appearance of the phone, I haven't read of anyone reporting nicks or scuffs, ever (I am looking forward to the smartypants that links me to a complaint lol). This is one of the reasons I find asurion to not be worth it. There is a monthly fee, and a relatively high deductible. Realistically, the only time their insurance is worth it is in case of loss or theft. In terms of fixing dmages, it is far more expensive than even an out of pocket replacement through Apple.