Should I sell my barely used MacBook Unibody 2.4 for New Nehalem i5/i7 MBP in 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hamzab, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Question is in the title really, I own a Pristine, not a single scratch/scuff, Invisible Shield and Speck protected MacBook 2.4/250GB/2GB Ram for the new Nehalem i5/i7s that are due out in 2010? It was given to me in March/April cant remember exactly what date so around just over 6months old. Not a refurb or anything, got the normal Apple MacBook box and packaging with it and still do have it somewhere.

I've seen on eBay they're going for around £600-£750? Not too bad seen as I got mine for free as a gift. I assume the new MacBooks will have better graphics as well as better screens? Also, do you think they may have built in batteries like the current MBPs? This is the only drawback in my opinion, as when getting the battery replaced by Apple I have a feeling that they will scratch/scuff the Mac, this happened alot with my old MacBook Black, I gave it in pristine condition, they said I had to take off the Invisible Shield for some repairs to it and when I got it back, the corners were dinged and the top case scratched. Maybe if I get the new Nehalem's I'll make it a case that I ask them to be gentle with it, as you can probably tell with my MacBook UB, I hate scratches so take the utmost care, helps when selling it later on

I've barely used the MacBook, turned it on maybe around a maximum of 15 times, honestly, no joke, the battery has done 1 cycle! Is there anyway I can prove that it's only be turned on and used a for a minimum amount of time so I can possibly get more money for it?

This leads me on to why i'm proposing to sell it. I start university next year and will be needing/using a laptop muh more then. If I can get a good price for it I dont mind forking out an extra £400 to get an i5/i7.

However, will there be large perfomane gains? The new iMacs have blasted their core2duo compeitors away however is this the case for the MacBook range?

So in the end is it worth it? What price should I be getting for it off eBay? Will also be selling Speck SeeThru Satin with it and an Invisible Shield.

Please help, looking to sell within the next few days.

HamzaB

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, we'll probably have to wait and see exactly what chips go into the MacBook Pros.

If they get Quad Core, yes, it should be a significant improvement in performance. However, your machine is incredibly powerful and competent too.

I'm a bit like you. Maybe, if it is your main system, to start fresh while yours is still worth a lot of money, is not a terrible idea and get a newer technology. If that means a lot to you, that might be worth it.

Otherwise, your machine is great honestly. You could always use it a couple years and just buy a new one outright then or something.

3. JTK28 macrumors member

Well judging by your signature, you already made your decision...

The new iMacs have quad core processors. The next update will more than likely have arrandale (which is still a dual core).

From everything i've read, the actual performance gain going to arrandale will be about 10% -15% improvement, but nothing really noticeable to the naked eye. Where you will actually be able to see real world improvement will be when someone is encoding or processing LARGE amounts of data. Also arrandale is said to have even better power management.

4. abar macrumors newbie

Hey, i just sold my unibody macbook pro 2.4/250 GB/2gb which i got in october 2008!

I got 970 quid for it on ebay......

You will defo get more than that :)

5. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, is that pounds or dollars?

Also, you said MacBook Pro in you're post but you're specs actually state that it's a MacBook (like mine)

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

Quid = Pounds :)

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Why do they call pounds quid?

Is it like calling dollars bucks?

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Pretty much

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It's just another term for it, so pretty much like bucks (or at least my understanding of bucks).

Often if someone asked me how much something was I'd answer in quids.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.