Should I sell my Iphone 4 now if I'm buying iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GarytheiPhonema, Sep 16, 2011.

1. GarytheiPhonema macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

I am wondering if I should sell my iPhone 4 now to get the most money out of it if I'm planning on upgrading to the iPhone 5. This report below says that I should but then that means I'll have to use my old Curve until the iPhone5 comes out LOL. But lord knows I could use the extra cash to fix a small leak we have in the kitchen. Anyone else selling their beloved iPhone 4? I'm torn! :eek:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/16/planning-on-picking-up-an-iphone-5-better-sell-your-old-iphone-now/

2. EddyP macrumors 6502

I'd say sell now. Especially if the rumors of the "4S" or "iPhone light" are true. A lower cost iPhone could destroy the resale market for used iPhones.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm not. Unlike many here that seem to have money to blow whether it be from selling their last gen phone or just have the cash, I'm balancing a budget. When I received my iPhone 4 I had full intentions of using it for the full life cycle of two-three years. The only thing that would cause me to get a new phone is a pre-mature death of my iP4.

4. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If you need the money to do other things, and have another phone you can use in the meantime, than by all means, sell it. If you don't need the money, which you may not, because you are "Definitely" buying the iPhone 5, i'd just hang on to the 4 and enjoy it as long as possible.;)

5. skyton macrumors 6502

Surely it depends on the features of the 5, if they you think they warrant an upgrade?

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you can afford to be without it for a few weeks I'd say go for it. Just be wary of scammers, they must be in overdrive at the moment as people try to get the best resale value of their iPhone 4's.

7. GarytheiPhonema thread starter macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

i just hope it comes out soon. i had a dream i was in line buying one! :eek:

8. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

You should sell your iPhone 4 when invites to the Apple event are given out. That way you can anticipate when you'll get the new iDevice.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I concur... U can then see how long u will be without it\.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've been following used iPhone 4 prices over the last few weeks, just for the fun of it. (I'm not selling mine).

They began dropping at a faster rate in the last ten days. The longer one waits the lower the price will be. Yet to be without the phone is a bit of a Catch 22.

This fact is one of many reasons I just keep mine.

Then once I have the new one, I give the old one to a family member or donate it. It's worth more to me to know that it's going to someone who will appreciate the gift.

11. Uln4321 macrumors regular

12. disarticulate macrumors regular

Here's a comparison between two that I've sold. One was sold just before christmas last year and I unlocked it to get more for it. The other was sold last week and was only jailbroken. Nonetheless, it looks like the market value is definitely trending down. Good condition iP4s are going for $380-$420, add another $50-75 if they are Gevey Sim unlocked or add another $150-$200 if they are factory unlocked. I'm merely posting my experiences and am not trying to sway you one way or the other, just hope this helps you better make your decision. :)

[​IMG]