Should I sell my iPhone 4 now or later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shannonbrooke, Sep 17, 2012.

1. shannonbrooke, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

shannonbrooke macrumors member

So, on Friday I'll be the proud owner of an iPhone 5 (fingers crossed), so it's time to let the ol' iPhone 4 go. I know a lot of people sell their old iPhones in order to cover the cost of the new one. Thing is, I have enough Best Buy gift cards to pay for iPhone entirely, so I really don't NEED to sell my iPhone 4 right away to help pay for it since I won't have to spend a dime out of pocket. So, in terms of how much money I'll receive, do you think it'd be wise to sell it once I get my iPhone 5 or to wait a while? I figured it'd be better to wait because I know sites like CL/eBay are flooded with past generation iPhones right now and it will probably only be worse after Friday, but then again, we all know how the value of our iDevices decreases with time. So...sell it Friday or soon after or wait a while? Opinions? (By the way, if it helps, I'm selling mine on eBay...I know I may get a bit more money if I go with CL, but as a female, the idea meeting up with someone from CL sort of creeps me out) :)

2. richpuer macrumors 6502

do it now. prices will drop like flies once the new one is out. going to be tons of supply being dumped on the mkt. imo, most are waiting to get the new one in hand before dumping their old one.

ebay instant sale best prices so far

3. trssho macrumors 6502

Just wait! Its not worth being without it while you wait!!!

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

the earlier the better. they are still selling well on ebay, but the market is really getting flooded. i have mine up, but if it doesn't sell by the weekend, i'll go Instant Sale.

5. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

I meant "now" as in Friday when I get my iPhone 5, "later" as in a month or so from now. Lol. I didn't know if it'd be better to wait a while since the market is flooded right now.

----------

Just a thought...maybe I should put it on eBay now since when the auction ends I should have my iPhone 5. (If that'd be the best time to do it) Ahh, decisions, decisions...

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I would just do eBay instant sale. Quick and easy, no hassle. The market is flooded now but will be just as flooded in a month as more people switch phones. The price of the 4 will only drop.

7. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I sold mine this past Friday. I can wait a week. Although I keep looking for my phone :)

I've gone back in time and am using "t9" for texting again. rofl

edit: Sell it NOW, OP. Prices WILL decrease after the 5 is released.

8. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind the hassle if I'll be getting more money, plus I'm used to selling things on eBay. However I just checked and the instant sale price is pretty tempting. $235 for my AT&T 32GB iPhone 4. Do you know how long you have to send it in once you accept the offer?

----------

Guess the instant sale may be better considering when you sell something on eBay (auction style) eBay takes a cut of the purchase, and the $235 is pretty comparable to what they're being sold for in the auctions. Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have considered that otherwise.

9. appswipe macrumors 6502

You can always go through a service that lets you lock down a price only just in case prices plummet on 9/21.

For my 4S I locked down $395 @ Amazon Trade In and $351 @ Best Buy trade in. They had better prices than Ebay, but you only get gift cards back so its only good if you shop at those stores a lot. I'm picking up at Best Buy so I'll likely trade in there just out of convenience because the price will just about cover the cost of phone, activation and tax.

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yes that is what I used. eBay will honor that price till Oct. 1 and you need to ship your phone out by Oct. 1 (it doesn't need to be received by eBay on Oct 1, just be shipped by that date, I believe).

11. Juno364 macrumors newbie

I did the same thing. I feel like an idiot trying to text using t9. It takes way to long and I have to spell correctly, blarg!

12. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

Nice...I think I'm going to do that. Seems like the best bet for me since I'd prefer cash over gift cards and want to wait until I have the iPhone 5. TY.

13. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

Just accepted the eBay instant sale offer and when I did it said "This offer is good until 9/24/2012, so ship it fast." even though in the FAQ it clearly says Oct 1st, did this happen for anyone else?!