Should I sell my late 2012 21.5 inch iMac and early 2013 15 inch retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Sep 2, 2013.

  1. boombox15 macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I know that apple is likely holding an event on September 10, likely just a little over a week away. While the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C are almost 100% certain, I want to know if I should sell my current 21.5 inch late 2012 iMac and my early 2013 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro. I know intel has new Haswell chips that the iMac and MacBook Pro do not have at this time. Will Apple update these Macs on September 10?

    I would like to buy the Haswell models soon after they come out.

    My iMac is the base $1299 model 21.5 inch
    My MacBook Pro is the 15 inch $2799 model

    They are all in great conditon, so how much could I get for them?

    I know no one knows for sure, but I want to know if I should sell them now, or if they are not coming out until October.
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    September is unlikely, since September is used for the iPod and iPad and iPhone.
    October is the month for Macs.

    As for the iMac, it (base iMac) will not get that much faster (10% maybe) than your base iMac, unless you buy a faster model than the one you have, but the battery life will be incredible.
    The MacBook Pro with Retina Display will probably be a better choice to sell, since it will actually benefit from the better battery life and a better integrated graphics processor (IGP).

    Mac2Sell, Gazelle or eBay (Việt Nam, Türkiye, Česká republika, Hanguk) might be good price checkers.

    PS: Both Macs will still be capable to do things you already do with them after the new Macs have been announced.
  3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Dec 21, 2011
    Are they broke? Odd that both machines don't work like they used to anymore. :confused:
  4. puma1552 macrumors 603

    Nov 20, 2008
    OP, why do you care about Haswell in an iMac? It plugs into the wall, so the improved battery life with Haswell is a moot point.

    Also, why buy a base model just to sell it and upgrade every refresh, wouldn't it make sense instead to just buy the best of a given generation instead of the base model, and hold onto it until the base model of a new generation down the road exceeds your once-top-of-the-line model?
  5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

    Aug 20, 2013

    Block the MacRumors site from your browser and don't come back for two years! You're just looking for an excuse to burn money--trust me, I've been through this before.

    By all accounts, Haswell will add only negligible performance enhancements over Ivy Bridge. So apart from improved battery life your flashy new late-2013 MBP will probably feel an awful lot like the one you're thinking about selling.

    Use your computers until they start to feel slow or a bit outdated, then sell them.

    The last thing the world needs is another guy trying to sell his 6-month-old Mac on Craigslist for more than the price of the same model on the Apple refurb site! ;)
  6. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ok, here's another thing

    When I bought my iMac 8 months ago, the fusion drive option was not available for the model that I wanted. I would have had to traded up to the $1499 model. I went ahead and bought the $1299 model.

    So, even if Haswell's performance gains are small, I could just sell my current one and trade up again for the base $1299 model with a fusion drive!
  7. AXs macrumors 6502a


    Sep 7, 2009
    That's totally up to your budget, need, and want.
    I get attached to my computers, never sold any in my life. My 16 year old desktop is still sitting in storage.

    I think you should get what makes you happy. There's no other way to spin it. There's going to be new technology every year though. You're excited about Haswell's efficiency now, but wait till 14nm Broadwell chips are released next year with DDR4 Ram.

    There's always going to be something new. Go with what makes you feel is worth the purchase.
  8. Saltymac macrumors member

    Aug 19, 2013
    Rocky Mt State
    If you are looking to upgrade then it would be a good time to sell one. You are going to take a big hit on your laptop no matter when you sell it. I would probably keep it for as long as possible as it will be like burning $100 bills when you sell it. The iMac is only going to burn you for a couple of hundred bucks. Sell it now and use the laptop until the new iMacs are out and the component problems are ironed out.
  9. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502


    May 6, 2013
    It's your money, your machines, and your desire, so feel free to do anything you want. That's said, I don't think you should sell macbooks year after year to get "new tech". Macbook Pros and iMacs are designed for long keep (3-5 years down the road); you'll be wasting time and effort trying to chase after technology. Only get one if they bring drastic changes (and really benefit you) like the redesign + retina display on your first gen MBP. Some 10% CPU increase & more battery power isn't going to suffice, imo.

Share This Page