Should I sell my late 2012 iMac now to get the soon to be released Haswell Models?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boombox15, Aug 29, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 21.5 inch iMac. It's the base model ($1299) and I know that at some point, Apple will release new models powered by Intel 4th Generation Processors, known as Haswell. With Apple likely holding an event on September 10, I am trying to decide if that's the date when the new models will come out. I have had it for 8 months and it is in very good condition. If I am including everything, and it looks 100% like new, how much could I get for it, but also, should I sell it now in preparation for September 10?

Thanks!

2. DavidG328 macrumors regular

Yes.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

No guarantee that the sept 10 event will have updates to anything other than the iPhone.

Unlikely we will see Mac updates until later in the month.

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Should I sell my late 2012 iMac now to get the soon to be released Haswell Models?

Yes.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would say it depends on whether you can survive without such a machine in the interim, especially if imacs are not released, whether you're okay with a mediocre update, and depending upon how much you can get for the current model. If cpu performance was crucial to you, you wouldn't have purchased a 21" model. This is just a case of whether you can float cheap purchases and maintain warranty without the purchase of Applecare. Do not do it for performance reasons.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

What do you really after with Haswell iMac? The newest and greatest every year? The base model might come with iGPU now the Intel HD5000 on Haswell is capable enough to substitute low to mid end dGPU such as GT640M or 650M.

From what I've seen, Haswell improvement is minimum over IB or even SB.
    I wouldn't spend my time, money and efforts over something minuscule like that.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No macs Sept. 10.. expect an iPhone-only event.

Would you sell your 2013 Toyota Carolla to buy a 2014? Same thing here. Changes will be extremely minor.

8. Chippy99, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Could you explain why you want Haswell and what benefits it would offer you, in return for the several hundred dollars you would lose?

Faster? No, not really.
    Runs cooler? No.
    Useless less electricity? No.
    Prettier, better looking chip? Er, no.
    Smells nicer? No again.

Other than that, it's massively better, obviously.

9. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What do you do with your Mac? For most domestic purposes, you are not going to need or notice the benefits of any performance improvements between the models.

The 2012 should be on top of everything you ask it for several years.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The largest benefit will come from the (expected) move to a PCIe SSD, followed by a likely newer GPU (though perhaps only in the 27" model) and the Haswell CPU.

But unless your daily workload is either heavily CPU-dependent, heavily-GPU dependent or heavily disk-dependent, the performance advantages might not be worth the cost of a new system.

11. iamgalactic macrumors regular

No

If a base model 21.5" was good enough for your needs 8 months ago, you're unlikely to get any benefit from a new model. i.e. if you need more power, then you wouldn't have bought the i5 processor and would have opted for something better

Does your computer do everything you need it too without seeming sluggish? if yes, keep it. Although a base model 21.5" with the 5400rpm HDD is going to be sluggish anyway compared with a Fusion/SSD equipped iMac.

12. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Generally speaking, you should plan to replace your basic 2012 21.5 inch model with a better 2012 21.5 inch BTO model.

For example, order more RAM, Fusion Drive or SSD and an i7 processor....this is what you might need!!!

Besides, try to sell your iMac on eBay or to your friends/co-workers to get more money, don't "kill" this "pretty" machine for some hundred dollars...

13. Saltymac macrumors member

Haswell or IB is not the issue with the imac. The GPU's are several generations behind the market. It is a crap shoot as to what the new models will bring and when. Laptops and back to school computer devices are the typical fall releases. Part of the Apple strategy with the new MacPro will be to force professionals into this market and leave the imac market much the same for for business, education and general home use. The mini and laptops have taken over the home domain along with the pad's. I would wait for the Broadwell machines to come out to base my decision on.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'm willing to bet plenty that many professionals are using today's iMacs without issue. It's not like the iMacs are underpowered and are no more useful than a Mac mini. The iMac's have Quad Core i7 processors, can hold up 32GB ram with SSD and Fusion drive options and plenty of ports on the back, plus they have a great screens for creation. The mini's haven't taken over anything. Proof to back up this statement? What "professionals" are you referring to that seriously need a Mac Pro? I think people tend to use that word "Professional" around here because it sounds so important. A professional (in the tech world) is anyone who uses their computer as part of their livelihood. "Professionals" use Mac Mini's for iOS app creation. We have Pros in the recording industry that use Pro Tools or Reason and the iMac is practically overkill for those programs. Photoshop certainly doesn't need a Mac Pro, although it would be a nice addition. What's left, Drafting? AutoCad runs amazing the Quad Core i7 iMacs.

15. Saltymac macrumors member

What insight you display ? You are arguing there is no market for the new MacPro - you had better get on the phone with Tim Cook with your brilliant synopsis pronto before he makes a big mistake.

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Sounds you like you took offense to my opinion.

17. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

That's just plain nonsense. Given the thermal limitations of an all-in-one design and such a small enclosure, combined with the desire for low noise levels, the use of a mobile GPU is a necessity.

And regards mobile GPU's, the 680MX is barely 1 generation behind: The 7 series is not long out and shows only marginal speed improvement over the 680MX.

And the "market" you refer to, has not yet deployed ANY 7 series GPU's in an all-in-one desktop. None.

So to say the GPU's "are several generations behind" is factually incorrect. And frankly pretty misleading as well, since even when the 780 is more widespread (1 generation further on, not several) the performance is not much different.

I agree that Haswell or Ivybridge is a complete irrelevance though.

18. magbarn macrumors 68000

Unless you like to throw away money or burn dollar bills for fun, the Haswell upgrade is much less of an incentive as from the transition from SB to IB. Haswell's main upgrade is battery life which obviously has no main effect on your iMac.

19. Bear macrumors G3

What would you use while waiting for a new iMac? What if they don't announce them until the end of October? What if they announce them with a 1 month lag in shipping?

Since you got the base 21'5" I guess the question is have you decided you want different in the configuration? Larger internal disk? Fusion Drive? 27" model instead? If the answer to all of these questions is no, you're probably just wasting money updating so soon.

And on another point, if afte rthey announce the new iMacs (whenever that happens) and you decide you want it, the price you can sell your iMac won't really have dropped that much and you'll have had the extra couple of months (at least) of use.

20. flux73, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

flux73 macrumors 65816

The NVIDIA 680MX is several generations behind the market? Says who?

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

O really? 680MX is the best mobile card you can get. It has 1536 CUDA cores, only downclocked to reach a certain TDP. Sure it might be 10 - 20% slower than the real desktop 680 for what it is, but die size footprint and power consumption is significantly smaller, also less wasting space on the inside.

Now for a single GPU chip, contained in a thin chassis with low power and heat system, can you really ask for more than that?

Even better, can you provide a more viable alternative?

22. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

No. Save your money. You have a very good computer. If you really have the money to burn, spend it on something that will add functionality. New external storage? New iPod? Take your SO to the Bahamas?
    Having the latest iMac will not make your life any better long term.

23. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

There's lots of pros using iMacs in a variety of graphic and audio related fields. I'm a professional designer and I'm running a Mini, it's more than capable for Photoshop, Illustrator, web dev, and even a decent amount of 3d.

There is a market for the Mac Pro, but it's a very high end market and not as big as it used to be due to increased power of the "lower end" Macs.

24. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

If you'd like better Image Retention/Persistence then go for it :p

25. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

It is a.....

gamble. Nobody here knows for sure if Apple will do the refresh in the remaining of the year. Also depends on how you use your computer. If you do mission critical or productive work (to earn money for living, as example), downtime can be dangerous, so the gamble can not be justified....

:):apple: