Should I sell my MBA 1.86/128 for a 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackiecanev2, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

So I've been toying with the idea of of selling my beloved 1.86/128 MBA and getting a 13" MBP. I absolutely love the form factor of my MBA, but it does have the dreaded line issue. The new MBP holds appeal because of the upgraded screen, and extended battery (I am often out without access to power and a conservative ~6 hours would be a godsend. And the screen has allegedly been upgraded so that would nullify one of my issues that made me get an MBA to begin with. There would be a significant power upgrade (650mhz or so) and double the ram so it seems like it could be a good choice.

I could also just hang onto the MBA, and get a quad-arrandale in 2010 and have 2 laptops.

Thoughts? Is it wasteful? Anyone have a new 13" MBP that can comment on the battery and screen? I know there are reports of getting 8 hours from the 15" MBP with the 9400 and light usage...

2. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I recently purchased the 13" MBP and can say the battery life is significantly better than my previous uMB, though I don't have any figures because I haven't watched it that closely. In regards to the screen, I don't notice a difference between the MBP or my previous uMB, though it has apparently been upgraded.

If I were you, I would wait until 2010 because it seems like you aren't having too many issues with your MBA and with the new processors supposedly coming out your performance will increase significantly, should you choose to purchase then.

Having said all that, I DO love my new MBP to death as I'm sure you would. Tough call, sorry for essentially putting all of the ramblings that are surely going on in your head in a post and being of absolute no help, haha. ;)

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Bottom line, do you need more than four hours of battery between charges? Do you NEED more than 2 GB RAM (most people are fine with 2 GB RAM). RAM doesn't make the Mac faster unless it is using up the majority of 2 GB RAM. Do you prefer the glass display? Do you mind carrying around what feels like a brick after being used to carry around your notepad (I mean Air).

Seriously, I love the MBA... it's the most fun I have ever had with a computer. How can someone use an Air and not just smile at the perfection? I am getting a solid four plus hours from my MBA, and it's more than enough for me. I love carrying around 3 lbs and not more. I love that it fits easily in my tote between notepads. I love that it doesn't have lots of ports as I don't use them. I love the look... it's unique, light, innovative, and fun!

Unless you need seven hours of battery life between charges, or need 4 GB RAM, or need a built in optical drive, I think the MBP is a bad "upgrade." I would say keep your MBA. Also, consider that a new high-end MBA could be introduced with a larger SSD, 4 GB RAM, and more. I still think the high-end MBA isn't ready yet, but some disagree.

Good luck with whatever you do.

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I am honestly somewhat tempted trading my mba ssd revb as well. I just can't fathom carrying the weight around since I am happy with the airness of my air.

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have the revB MBA, 1.8/128ssd and I LOVE it.

I did order a 13" MBP, 2.5/256ssd and it arrived this afternoon. First impressions, it's a VERY nice computer, what I expected and more.

The reasons I ordered the 13" MBP ....

I've decided to work from 'one' computer, that's what I'm most comfortable with. Even though I previously felt it would be better and easy to use two computers, such as an iMac and MBA or a 17/15" MBP and an MBA but it's just not, one main computer is best for me.

In moving to a one computer system I had to decide if the MBA had enough power for everything I wanted to do. For the most part it does, the fan likes to run when I hook it up to my 24" ACD, I can tell I'm pushing it watching some vid's, doing light editing, photo work etc and I thought maybe the new MBP would do the same work with less effort and maybe a little faster too.

And, I thought/hope the trade off in the weight is worth the gain in performance. I'll know for sure in a week or so, it will depend on which one I enjoy using the most and if the MBP handles the load noticeably better.

I can't make any for sure claims yet, except to say this 13" MBP is NO BRICK like some MBA elitists like you to think it is!!! It is heavier yes, but still a pleasure to pick up and manage with one arm, light on your lap, small footprint on desk, it's GREAT in that respect AND also a lot lighter and easier to carry and handle than a 15" MBP.

Stay tuned, any questions please ask.