Should I Sell My MBP (2009) Now and Buy The New One?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rekhyt, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I had been enjoying my 15" MacBook pro for around a year already-I had bought it on ~26th of December.

I bought the mid-end version of it-2.4 Ghz, two graphics card, 2GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive.

Now I see the newer ones and I think I want to upgrade. How much should I get for it?

I bought it on the online Apple Store of Hong Kong for ~¥15,300 (~$2185). How much should I be able to get it for and should I sell it?

Thanks,
    Rekhyt

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

As hard as this may sound, I would wait for a few weeks before you upgrade. Right now, it's a buyer's market due to the masses unloading tons of "barely used" MBPs. If you could swing it, buy the new one now, and wait to sell the old one.

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

My Dad would murder me if I am not able to sell my old MacBook Pro. And I doubt he would be happy if he found me stuck with two MacBook Pros; One new and one older.

Would what you have suggested be a really good idea?

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

First, I would ask friends and family if they know someone. Then I would try Amazon or some type of online merchant. I'd say eBay...but I'm not a big fan.

5. theTechnician macrumors member

i'm in the same boat as you. I have a late 08 uMBP (the first one out) and after seeing the refresh, I think I want to update. My uMBP has the same specs as above, but I have 4gb of ram and a little under 2 years remaining on apple care.
    How much do you think I could get for it?

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Another thing to remember is, many online Mac centers are unloading refurbished MBPs for good deals. The best thing to do is search eBay :rolleyes: and see what people are buying them for. You can do an advanced search and look for items sold (or something like that).

7. theTechnician macrumors member

Damn, I had completely forgotten about that! I used to do that a lot when I was selling some old electronics equipment, but that was years ago.
    Anyways, thanks for reminding me that feature existed!

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

I went into advanced search but I am not sure how to filter out the items that are sold. Do you manually look at it or is there a specific filter?

:\ I saw a 17" go for $1900. 15" is probably then worth ~$1600-700 now. I don't think my Dad will allow me to see it if it has such a drop in value.

I know. But I had no idea it would be such a radical refresh.

10. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

There is a check box (filter) under Preferences / Show Only / Completed Listings. You have to be signed in on eBay.