Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caponey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hey everyone,

I have a mac mini (late June) model, and am considering selling it to put towards a Macbook Pro (15in Retina). It works pretty well for me, especially considering I do some Windows work with FL Studio often, but also do web development, mostly on OSX. I don't like to sit at a desk, and feel more creative and comfortable on my couch with a laptop when coding and designing.

I would still do work at the desk sometimes, when working on music, so I am wondering if I should keep the mini and get a MBA or sell the mini and get a MBP.

thanks

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
Since your Mac Mini has plenty of power to get the job done and you're just interested in portability -- I would personally be thinking about a MacBook Pro 13" Retina with the information you've shared thus far. It seems like price does factor in (as you're selling your mini), and since you do a lot of development, it is my belief that the Retina screen would be a must (instead of the MBAir).

What are your current Mac Mini Specifications? RAM, Storage, and what ports do you use on it? Were you considering the 15" because of the large screen realestate when programming on the couch?

Caponey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Since your Mac Mini has plenty of power to get the job done and you're just interested in portability -- I would personally be thinking about a MacBook Pro 13" Retina with the information you've shared thus far. It seems like price does factor in (as you're selling your mini), and since you do a lot of development, it is my belief that the Retina screen would be a must (instead of the MBAir).

What are your current Mac Mini Specifications? RAM, Storage, and what ports do you use on it? Were you considering the 15" because of the large screen realestate when programming on the couch?

13" seems like a nice sweet spot when it comes to price. I'm kind of worried I'll hate the smaller screen, though. I do have a decent external monitor. Thanks for your advice.

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
13" seems like a nice sweet spot when it comes to price. I'm kind of worried I'll hate the smaller screen, though. I do have a decent external monitor. Thanks for your advice.

If screen realestate means that much too you, then go with the 15". It's very comfortable on a lap... I don't think you need to go with the higher end one, as your mini delivers today.

Enjoy it!

Alex Meek

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Usa
Since your Mac Mini has a lot of energy to take care of business and you're simply inspired by convenientce - I would actually be contemplating a MacBook Pro 13" Retina with the data you've shared up to this point. It appears like cost does element in (as you're offering your scaled down), and since you do a ton of advancement, it is my conviction that the Retina screen would be an unquestionable requirement (rather than the MBAir).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.