Should I sell my unibody macbook or will there be a Firewire work around in the futur

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yurtal, May 11, 2009.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

I am seriously in a bind wondering if I should sell my current unibody macbook for either a white or a previous gen macbook pro simply for the use of a firewire (probably audio) device in the days, months, years to come.

Is there a possibility at all that there will be some kind of work around? An adaptor or something, or is it physically impossible and there is and never will be an option?

Anyone else wondering the same thing, in this position, or have sold their new macbook for a FW equipped laptop?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The current UMB will never have firewire. They don't have the right chipsets built in, and they dont have an expansion port. The next revision of UMBs might, but it's all speculation at the moment.

If you need a comp with firewire, you never should have bought the alu macbook in the first place, but you'd be better off selling it now and getting a white macbook or a macbook pro.

3. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Go with the macbook pro... :D

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

Not if he's to work with audio. The MacBook "pro" has the inferior Agere chipset.

5. Germwise macrumors regular

You should definetely get FW if you need it.
    I would go ahead and sell your unibody... to me

6. ihabime macrumors 6502

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

So...not only are you creating multiple threads, but you are considering replacing your computer so that a device that you don't even own it will work with it:confused:

Personally, if you don't know when you are going to own firewire device, and you did mention years before you *might* own one, just keep what you've got at the moment and save yourself the hassle

8. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, I missed both the "propably" and the "years".
    Seriously, I agree with this:

9. Zerostatic macrumors newbie

I don't see what the problem is just make sure when you buy some hardware that it works over USB. It's not that big of a dilemma. I have a unibody macbook. I recently purchased a camcorder. I simply got one that transfers video over USB. It's a canon and it works great with my Mac. I also recently got an external hard drive for backing up data. Again, I made sure it was USB and I got a 500GB Western Digital drive that has worked beautifully so far.

Being a Mac owner it can't be that hard to do. I mean how many cool apps/services/hardware do we not get because they are only windows-compatible?

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Someone hasn't done his homework when it comes to USB vs. Firewire for video and especially audio.

Hmm. A lot?

11. Zerostatic macrumors newbie

My point is that even though there are tons of cool apps/services/hardware that Mac owners don't get access to and yet we are still willing to compromise and look for solutions that do work for us. Similarly, I think a macbook owner who doesn't have firewire would be capable of putting in the legwork/research needed to find solutions that don't require firewire.

12. Tosser macrumors 68030

Fair enough. It just sounded like you thought USB was on par with firewire when it came to audio and video.
    But you're absolutely right: One _will_ have to "make do" if one intends to stay on the platform and doesn't need to use any of it (with regards to firewire) for work.