Should I spring for an iPod classic now, or continue to wait for a 32 GB iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by norcalstadium, Feb 3, 2008.

1. norcalstadium macrumors member

So, I've been waiting to get a new iPod (and in particular, an iPod touch) for awhile now, as my 3rd Generation iPod has been unusable for about a year.
    But, I have 19 GB's of music, and I want to carry all of my music in my iPod.
    So my two options are as follows: to continue to wait for larger capacity iPod touch or to just purchase an iPod classic.
    What do you think I should do?

Also, it's important to note that no matter what, I will be purchasing an iPod before the end of May because I will be traveling intercontinentally all through June.

2. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

OK - if it were me, and I had my heart set on a Touch, then I wouldn't be considering a Classic. You will regret your decision to compromise. However I would say that you may end up waiting for longer than you hoped for a 32GB Touch.

Again, if it were me, I would wait as long as possible in the hope that a 32GB Touch is released (although there is absolutely no guarantee that it will be), and if it isn't get the 16GB instead. You may feel that you want to take all 19GB of music with you, but i'll bet you could lose a few GB without even noticing.

At the end of the daym, though, the choice is yours. These are just my thoughts.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I love my 160 GB iPod classic. It's an awesome device.

However, I also have an iPhone, so I don't feel touch deprived.

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I think the "touch/iphone" concept is a horrid design for a music player. I hardly look at my classic to operate it. I like buttons I can press and controls that I don't need to look at to use. Touch is awesome for video, pic, and wifi, etc... but for music...no. Save some money and get a classic. You'll be happy you did.

5. iPhelim macrumors regular

I doubt there will be a 32 gig iPod touch before May, i would just buy a 16 gig, especially seen as how you now get the 5 apps with it

6. jjaenagle macrumors member

yea i would go with a 16 gig.... the 32 gig will be so expensive by then, you will might as well get a computer.

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get a classic if you need it for music. I have an iphone which I never use for music. I prefer the classic and don't like to choose my music. I have been away for the last 10 days travelling and my ipod classic has been a life saver. I have my 16gb of music and a further 25gb of movies and video as well as 1 gb of photos of my baby daughter. I purposely went and brought a classic before leaving on the monday. Watching a film now and typing this on my BB.

8. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Well, according to a recent article on Macrumors, the Flash Drive used in the iPod Touch has dropped down 75% in price, and Macrumors expects this to decrease the iPod Touch. That would probably be your best bet for this year for them to release a new 32GB Touch (Worst case you can get a 16GB for a cheaper price)

Personally, I'd settle for the 16GB Touch if you aren't intent on buying videos. Personally, i'm going to get an iPod Touch, despite having 80GB of Music +Vids (I might hold out for the 32GB Touch or opt for the 160GB Classic)

9. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

But the recent rate of iPod revisions and updates suggest that we won't see new iPods until September or so...

It doesn't sound like you're willing to wait that long, right? Apple can always spring a surprise or two, but I almost certainly see no new models before June.

10. Something4Kate macrumors member

The wait is over - the 32GB iPod Touch is now available ... it's just a bit pricey!

SFK

11. lamemodem macrumors member

lamemodem

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have a lot of music videos as well as albums on my iPod Classic (over 45GB worth) so even the 32GB iPod Touch wouldn't be enough for me. I like to carry all my music with me.

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ha well thats a bummer....

14. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Well, I guess you guys will have to come over and take away my crystal ball. :p

But daaaamn the higher-capacity models are expensive. The iPod classic might be a better deal now just for its lower price point.

15. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I say wait for a 32gb iPod Touch, but god knows when one of those will come along. Long wait. Hopefully it will bring a 16gb iPhone along with it.. Who knows... just have to wait and see.

Oh. Ermm. Yeah.

16. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

;)

:D

17. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Hey, can you ask if they'll be releasing the 160GB Apple TV for 300 in the apple TV thread for me :D

I'm buying the new iPod Touch asap

18. peterjeter26 macrumors member

hey look at the apple store the 32 GB ipod touch is out go buy and have fun!!

19. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

20. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

hahaha wow talk about opportune timing. right when I heard about the 32 GB iPod touch, I thought about this thread lol

21. lamemodem macrumors member

lamemodem

So are you going to get the new 32gb Touch?

I was waiting for that myself, but decided to go with the 80gb Classic. I recycled my old one and bought the Classic on Black Friday, so it was only $200. $500 seems a bit steep for a new Touch.

22. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

Is there an advantage to waiting till the end of May?

Yeah, $500 does seem a bit steep. So, I wonder if there's an advantage to waiting a few months. Is there potential for a price drop?
    After all, since I've waited this long, I can surely wait a couple of months more (if it will be advantageous to do so).

23. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Having used my first iPod ever for the past few months, an 80 gig Classic, I can say that I'm super satisfied that I made the right decision not to get an iTouch, but not just because the storage space is so much bigger (which it is, and which still isn't enough).

More importantly I'm really happy with what the iPod Classic does NOT have. The iTouch is great because it lets you always be on the internet.
    The iTouch is bad because it lets you always be on the internet.

Think about it. When I have easy web access it's a huge distraction and makes me procrastinate like crazy (such as right now). If I had the net in my pocket it'd be a constant temptation to procrastinate. I want my music player to be an escape, or I want it to help me focus, or help me unwind, or whatever. I realize now that having net access on my music player would be a huge mistake that would prevent me from really enjoying my music.

24. blahbrah macrumors 6502

as time goes on you may be able to find one from a third party retailer for around 460. I know that happened with the 16gb and 8 gb.

Also keep an eye out for rebates and stuff, I know target was selling a 16gb with a $40 gift card, which is essentially as good as cash where I live.

25. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I say keep an eye on Amazon pricing, for the new model.

Otherwise, just go for it, unless it's too expensive for you. It will be a great device, and they won't update pricing until they update the iPod line, which I expect would be in the fall, for the holiday season.

Also, I don't see any revolutionary changes to iPods this year. Just capacity, pricing, colors, etc. but I hope I'm wrong!