Should I stick with my 2010 27" i7 iMac and wait for the next refresh?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Oct 25, 2012.

  1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #1
    I have AppleCare until September 2014. I am actually good with this current iMac for my needs, but I also like the latest and greatest. I would like the new iMac but if the next refresh will be more of a bigger refresh, I'd rather wait for that.

    Basically, I'm trying to suppress this itch to upgrade.
     
  2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #2
    if i would have still had my 2011 maxxed imac i would have definitely skipped this refresh
     
  3. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

    chevalier433

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2011
    #3
    The answer is if you have the money go for it apple do it again amazing machines specially the top line 27".
     
  4. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #4
    Lol, you're not helping.
     
  5. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #5
    Personally I'd go another year with what I have. :)
     
  6. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #6
    What do you have?
     
  7. iChrist macrumors 65816

    iChrist

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2011
    Location:
    3 countries for tax benefit
    #7
    .
    Since retina is likely next year I would wait.

    .
     
  8. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #8
    What is the likelihood of this? Is the technology for that size feasible? That's what I'm afraid of with all this retina talk. I don't want to get the 2012 iMac and then have the retina come out next year.
     
  9. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #9
    I'd wait. I also have a 2010 iMac 27" and frankly, it still feels like a new machine. Sit back, relax until Apple releases a Retina display and SSD-equipped iMac you and I can actually afford, then jump!
     
  10. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #10
    We need a 2010 27" iMac support group.
     
  11. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

    xkmxkmxlmx

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2011
    #11
    Rule of thumb with any new tech... Early adopters usually pay. In more ways than one. (see retina Macbook pro 15).

    Not saying anything is wrong with the new one, and it sure looks sexy on paper, but you never know what may come about from the initial rumored screen issues. Also, I imagine you would go with a fusion drive as well; completely newly designed tech that can have a multitude of issues.

    It is better to wait for the next rev while apple works out the kinks. But I know how hard that can be sometimes ;)
     
  12. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #12
    I personally don't start looking to replace until 3 years. So I'd sit tight if I were you; if you've got a good enough box that you can wait out any first gen problems on the new design and not be missing out on all that much.
     
  13. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #13
    If the next refresh comes out with retina, that's a big revision that might have huge issues.
     
  14. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #14
    I can vouch for this. I bought one of the first '09 iMac 27" i5s and immediately was faced with screen flickering, discoloration and a rumbling, grumbling (and now admittedly, defective) Seagate 1 TB HD. Returned it and bought the refreshed 2.93 Ghz i7 the following August. No issues!
     
  15. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #15
    My 2010 iMac is included in that Seagate program.
     
  16. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #16
    The first thing I checked upon booting mine was the HD info in System Profiler. It had the Western Digital drive. I was very relieved.
     
  17. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #17
    If anything, Retina will probably a separate model next year; non-Retina models should still exist. And anyway Retina will only change the pixel density on the panel; the existing design (including the screen lamination process) would be the same
     
  18. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #18
    I installed my own SSD and don't really want to take it out for the Seagate replacement. Plus I don't really trust anyone to work on my iMac besides me. I'm very anal on how it's put back together.
     
  19. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #19
    Yes, you should. No, wait! You shouldn't! But then why spend money on an incremental upgrade? Hey, the new iMac is so thin, you must have it. No, you don't! Yes you do.

    Why don't you spend the money you have in excess and go on a holiday? Obviously, you don't need new HW otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Do you rely on opinions expressed by total strangers or (as in my case) by harmless internet trolls?:)
     
  20. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #20
    I'm actually going on holiday early next year, that's already paid for. And I just put in an order for a custom surfboard, so I'm good with everything else. I am updating my 4S to a 5, and my ipad2 to either the iPad 4 or mini.

    And yes I rely on opinions from you all.
     
  21. karpich1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #21
    Honestly, Revision A is the only thing giving me pause.

    I'd like to switch BACK to Apple... sooner than later. My current PC desktop is on its last legs.

    The new iMac is really tempting, but I got a lemon in the past with a Rev A Apple laptop (which I kept) and my last attempt at an iMac (which I returned / screen flicker).

    So, I'm torn. I can't really wait until Summer 2013 (or whenever) for Rev B.
     
  22. chevalier433, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

    chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

    chevalier433

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2011
    #22
    I have the same thoughts as you my Mac is still going strong and I enjoy every minute with him but I need every performance gain is possible bacause i use iMac for HD video pro work so I am tempted now with the new...
     

Share This Page