Should I take back my 13" MBP and pay the 110$ restocking fee to get the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkmarket, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bkmarket macrumors newbie

It suck that I just bought a new 13" MBP 2 weeks ago. It would be a no brainer if I didnt open the MBP yet but I did. It going to cost me 110$ to take it back and exchange for the new MBP.

How do you think the new videocard compare to the old videocard GeForce 9400M vs GeForce 320M.

Do you guys think it worth 110$ to get extra 2G Ram, bigger hard drive, a slight processor boost, videocard update (not sure how much better it is compare to old one) and better battery.

Today is actually the last day I can take it back. Please advise.

2. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Not sure why you are still sitting in the chair . YES yours just devalued about 300 bucks

3. ginger.al@gmail macrumors newbie

I just spoke to an apple rep through online chat regarding this..

* You are chatting with Joyce A, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Joyce A. Welcome to Apple!

You: hi I have a question

Joyce A: How may I assist you today?

Joyce A: I'm happy to assist with that.

You: I just bought a macbook pro about 2 weeks ago and I noticed that today you guys came out w/ a new one

You: is there anything I can do?

Joyce A: I understand your concern.

Joyce A: You will need to call customer service.

Joyce A: Please call Customer Service at 800-676-2775. They are open from 8am-11pm EST M-F and 10am-7pm S-S. Customer Service can better assist you.

You: is there an official policy regarding anything like this?

Joyce A: Yes. We have a 14 day return policy but sometimes customer service have dates to work with for your situation. I recommend you call. The representatives will have your options.

You: thank you very much joyce =]

Joyce A: You're welcome.

Joyce A: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with us again.

Thank you for choosing the Apple Store. If you have any additional questions, please chat us again.

I gave the customer service a call, and I'm able to send it back with no restocking fee. Hope that help =]

4. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

The diff is so narrow you shoulda got a MBP

so keep the MB. It's a good version.:)

5. bkmarket thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the reply. I bought my MBP at the local apple store so I think it's going back to the store to get the new one. they should waive the darn restocking fee if there is an update within 30days or something... or they can drop the price for the lower end model so I can use my Amex price match feature to get money back. Maybe I can call customer service.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I feel your pain...only there's no pain killer for me.

After putting off purchasing my 13" MBP, I decided to dive in and get it anyway. That was on 03-19-10. No re-stocking fees here...nor a chance to get my MBP updated. That is unless I want to spend $1,200! I haven't stopped kicking myself since I found out about the update.

Someone get me a doctor....please.:eek:

7. slicke101 macrumors member

according to apple (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html)

More powerful NVIDIA graphics.

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro features the new NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics processor with 48 processing cores — three times as many as before. The result? The fastest integrated graphics on the market and a performance boost of up to 80 percent over the previous generation.3 That makes a huge difference when you’re using 3D games and graphics-intensive applications. And when you’re not, you’ll benefit from a new energy-efficient architecture that uses up to 40 percent less power for everyday tasks like writing email and surfing the web. It’s so efficient, in fact, that you can now get up to 10 hours of battery life on a single charge.4"

I think its easily worth it and wouldve done it right away if you can afford it. Its a bummer if it strains your wallet and will not be the end of the world but if the xtra 110$ is affordable go fo it :D

8. JCT macrumors 6502

If the restocking fee is manageable -- take it back.

Think about it over the lifetime of your purchase. If you keep it for 2 years is it worth $5 a month? Probably-- and a newer machine will have better resale if yo eventually trade up...

JT

9. bkmarket thread starter macrumors newbie

GadgetGeek71, did u buy it online or at local store? I just called customer service and seem like they might let u return it within 30 days.

10. rk1991 macrumors regular

You should take it back immediately because it cost about $100 just to upgrade the ram from 2gb(2x1gb) to 4gb(2x2gb) because the stock ram is useless in the upgrade. The $100 does not include the hard drive upgrade and dont forget the improved battery, processor and graphics.

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I got it at BestBuy and they are unwilling to take it back. After showing my frustration (more like embarrasement), the kid on the phone said "well, you should have waited."

Well that's a good one Captain Obvious.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd take it right in to the nearest Apple store and get the new one. It is
    definitely worth the trouble and cost.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Getting the new machine is basically a no-brainer. Just from the resale value perspective it is well worth it.

14. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

15. bkmarket thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just called a bunch of stores and here is the information

Online Customer Service: Within 14 days from the purchased date and come with 10% fee

1st Local apple Store: 14 days return/exchange from the the day the new MBP come out which is today. 10% fee

2nd Local Apple Store: 14 days from the purchased date and waive the restocking fee if nothing from the box is missing.

So I got 3 different answers.. I think Im gonna go with the last guy that I called and try to avoid the restocking fee. Bad thing though they dont have 13" models in stock and April 14 which is tomorrow is the last day to return according to my receipt.

16. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Will they give you a rain check?

17. bkmarket thread starter macrumors newbie

they said that just bring it in today and they will figure it out with me.

I just called another store and this one said: it have to be within 14 days and it come with 10% restocking fee. I usually very impress with apple customer service but I am kinda surprised that they give different answer each time.

18. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Take it back,the new one is a lot better processor and has more ram,and has a bigger HD,so worth $110.

19. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I have spoken with Apple about this 2x in the past month 'if I buy now and you come out with a new MBP tomorrow...' In both cases I was told NO restock fees and an exchange within 14 days.

Take care of this today, be proactive and let them know your were told NO restock fees under these conditions!!!!

20. bkmarket thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the MBP back today to a local Apple Store and I exchanged for a new one without paying for 10% restocking fee. Yay :D

21. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Totally worth that $110. The best $110 you can ever spend on your machine.