Should I take in my MB for dust behind the glass? UPDATE: Apple Replaced It!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skorpien, Dec 17, 2008.

1. skorpien macrumors 68020

I noticed something rather annoying the other day on my Alu MB. On the left side near the bottom of the screen, there seems to be a piece of dust or other particle behind the glass. I know it's not a dead/stuck pixel because its position changes depending on the angle you look at it (ie, it will travel across several pixels). And I know it's not a scratch or anything on the outside. Do you think I should take this in and have them look at it at an Apple store? I bought it a week after they released, so the 14 day return window is no longer. Any advice is appreciated. TIA.

skorpien

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm actually in this same boat...I'm afraid of getting a dead pixel panel back though after repair :(

Mine's down in the lower right, just above the trashcan

3. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

You can bring it in and they'll probably replace the computer if you want... I mean if it bothers you that much they'll do it. No worry about the 14 day policy.

4. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the replies all. I set up a Genius Bar appointment for Saturday and I'll see what they have to say about it. I know I'm probably being a little anal about all this, but if they can do something about it, I'd rather know that I tried than wondering. That and I'm hoping I could get a good 9c8c display :p I currently have the 9c89, and while there isn't anything wrong with it, I've heard that the 9c8c ones are better?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

You aren't being anal. You spent good money and you should expect that the product you are getting is as advertised.

Now, if Apple had advertised that the new MacBook came with bonus dust particles on the screen to help enhance usability, then you wouldn't have a case......

This somehow reminds me of Speed Holes.....

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

lol,would they really replace them for havn abit of dust in the screen.i shouldnt think so,cause if one person has that prob then loads will??

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yes they should fix it. Dust behind a screen is NOT normal.

8. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Just an update. I just got back from my appointment at the genius bar (I moved it up to today) and I'm sporting a brand new 2.4" Alu MB! The Genius replaced it on the spot! They transfered my RAM and HDD and it's purring along beautifully. The screen's still the 9C89 screen, but no dead/stuck pixels or dust anywhere. I've also noticed that my SuperDrive is a lot quieter than my previous one. Man do I love Apple's customer service!

9. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

I have the same sort of issue near my camera on my 2.4 aluminum mb...I bought it within the first few days of release, and have actually already been through 3 other macbooks. Each of the new macbooks that i got kept either being dirty, scratched, or have problems with there trackpad when i took them out of the box. Finally, i got one that was mostly decent, but i noticed a speck of dust on the right of the camera, about an inch over in the black glass bezel area. Its the size of a size 12 font period, but its enough to annoy me, you think its worth a trip to the apple store? Also, I have two dead pixels that i noticed recently, although i already know that apple probably won't replace my screen for that, being as they usually require at least 3 dead pixels for replacement. I guess maybe i'll think about setting up an appointment. It almost seems as if the computers that were manufactured more earlier on in production were a little shakier, crooked keys, defective trackpads, defective lcd displays, dust, fingerprints, dirt, etc. :mad::(

10. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

It seems that way. There always seems to be a few hiccups at the beginning of a product's run. I'd say it's worth it to take it in for the dust, especially when coupled with the dead pixels. I had just the dust with no dead or stuck pixels at all and they were kind enough to replace it for me. Here's hoping you get a nice enough Genius helping you out :p

11. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Just curious, what did you say to them when you brought it in, what was there line of questioning like? And most importantly, did you just bring the box and all the cables in with you so they could replace it?

12. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

UPDATE:
    Turns out they replaced mine too. The mac genius originally tried to tell me that they needed to hold onto my computer for a few days before they could replace it, but I just asked to speak to a manager, and everything worked out fine. Replaced the computer on the spot, and even gave me a $5 gift card because of the tax difference between NE and MO...Sweet stuff:cool:

13. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I'm glad things worked out for you :) Yeah, there was minimal questioning at all on the Genius's part. I pretty much told him right then and there that I brought it in because there was a speck of something behind the glass and that it wasn't a dead or stuck pixel, then explained that I was concerned that more foreign materials might make their way behind the glass in the future. I showed him where it was, he held it up and looked at it closely (after attempting to clean it off with a finger), went in the back for a few minutes, came out front, went into the door on the other side of the Genius Bar, then came out with a MacBook in its box and explained that they'd need to replace it :D And that I can pick it up after 30 mins cuz they had to transfer my HDD and RAM. No $5 gift card here :( lol but I'm just glad I got a nice Genius that was understanding (and no need to ask for a manager). As for my MB, all I did was bring the unit. No box, no cables, nothing. They only replaced the unit.

14. james948 macrumors 6502

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Nice!
    I've always loved Apple Support- Especially at the Genius Bar- except for when they run late, and you have to wait 20mins for an appointment even if you're scheduled in.
    Anyways, I just got my iPod touch replaced because there was this little piece of dust under the screen.
    Took it in to the Genius Bar, and the Genius looked at it- and said it was pretty big!
    When he said he had to give me a new one, he even said it apologetically!

16. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

It was roughly the size of two pixels or three pixels, which is what initially caught my attention. I thought they were stuck pixels first and I tried unsticking them, but when I looked closer I saw that it was a foreign object behind the glass.