Should I take my battery out when plugged in for extended periods of time?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbg232, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Same as the title, am I supposed to take my battery out when I leave my computer plugged in for extended periods of time. Currently I don't take my computer off my desk much and don't want to ruin my battery life as I only take it on the go once every few months (but when I do need it on the go, I need it a lot). Any advice?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't on my MacBook. If you take the battery out two things could happen.

1. The battery will slowly drain with no power to it.

2. You could get crap inside the battery bay that would not otherwise get in there if the battery was there. This includes dust which will get in there no matter how clean of a surface you try to keep in on.

Hope this helps.

3. Apple addict macrumors member

Where did you see that advice about taking the battery out when plugged in for extended periods of time?

Sure you don't mean when computer is stored for long periods of time and not plugged in?

Gary

4. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

i keep my macbook plugged in most of the time and only remove it a couple of times a week
    doesn't seem to be hurting it at all
    i was told that the macbook stops charging when it is full to stop over-charging
    someone with more knowledge on this may be able to confirm? cheers

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Leave it in. This will not effect your battery.

Here's what Apple says: Article: HT2332

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

No, I would not recommend it.

1. Previous Apple machines run slower when the battery is removed (no one has ran any tests on the current machines).

2. If you accidentally knock off the Magsafe connector you'll loose any unsaved data and you may corrupt files.

3. The battery is not constantly charged up. Once the battery hits full charge the charging stops. If the battery looses charge over time it won't start recharging until it hits something around 95% give or take a couple percentage points.

h

7. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

thanks that's what i was talking abt :D

8. haircrime macrumors newbie

I have a different opinion.

Even though new Batteries do not have the memory effect, it is still advisable to charge it all the way, and then use it all the way to the end.

If you are using your computer on the desk with powercable , you should take out the battery because as mentioned earlier the battery is constantly between 95% and 100% which ultimately reduces the capacity.

9. ptsube macrumors 6502

Also it is good to cycle(complete charge, then drain to no power) your battery on occasion. I do it at least once a week.

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

as mentioned earlier i would personally not take out the battery.

I would just leave it plugged in...even better i'd take the ac adapter off at least once in a while to give the battery a good work out.

With the battery out, the chances of you knocking out the magsafe adapter are just too high and risky.