should I trade in my 2.4GHz UMB for 2.26GHz MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ikos, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ikos macrumors regular

spoke to my local apple stores manager, he is willing to take my 2.4GHz back and give me a new 2.26GHz MBP. I got my Macbook on May 8th, so its been over a month. do you guys think this is worth doing? the new MBP is better in every way except CPU but only slightly 2.26 vs 2.4.

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

You won't notice the difference in the cpu speeds unless you are an encoding maniac and even that would be a difference of 5-7 seconds faster maybe?

i'd say Go for it! ;)

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Why would you?

What are you expecting people to tell you.

Why do you think you need to upgrade?

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Unless you're getting the price difference back, doesn't sound like a worthwhile swap to me.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have the same MacBook you have. See it this way: we have the only aluminium MacBook that ever saw the light of day. Well, there's also the 2,0GHz model, but that one doesn't count. :p

Now, our MacBooks won't become collector's items I think, but it is at least nice to have a somewhat special Mac, isn't it?!...

We all just advise you not to swap, because we'd just get jaleous.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Unless you really need the firewire and the new port, swapping would be a downgrade, especially with the battery.

7. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I thought the battery was better in the new umb?

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I didnt start the "Collectors Edition" saying because I honestly think that it is or will be a collector item. I just thought it was a positive funny way to look at the situation when everyone else was pissed.
    But you are correct, i tell people the same thing, "I have the ONLY aluminum MacBook EVER made"
    And I just LOVE how some people try to say the Collectors Edition = Buyers remorse!! haha! RIGHT!!!! Im more than 100% happy with my CE!! Dont be jealous haters!! Anyone can go buy a MacBook "Pro" But not a MacBook CE!! :)

[​IMG]

9. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thanks! :D
    I thought it was kinda comical

11. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

Thats beautiful I feel so proud to be one of the sacred few sniff

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I know I feel like I belong to a cult now! haha

13. castanzarules macrumors member

very true, i feel like a part of a special group:p

i'm not gonna lie though, i want one of the new 13: umbp's real bad

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Well you have a 2.0 so I could see the keyboard being appealing and what not but I honestly have no desire to get it..
    If I needed a new MacBook for some reason then yea of course I'd get it but I just dont feel it offers enough to make me want to "upgrade."

Im super happy with my CE... Plan to be using for some time to come! :D

15. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

It's not user replaceable, so if something happens to it down the road, you're stuck with an expensive fix. Essentially the new Macbooks have become giant iPods, with planned obsolescence built right in.

16. mac88 macrumors 6502

17. GoHack macrumors member

Why don't we just start calling our uMB's, the uMB CE or MB CE? :D

We'll make ourselves an elitist group of Mac owners.

It would be easier to identify our laptop from the basic White MB model and the 13" Pro.

Seriously though, is the new 13" MBP that much of a leap that it truly warrants selling your existing uMB CE?

When Apple moves onto Intel's next generation mobil cpu's, which have the memory controller built into them, then that will be the time to upgrade. ;)

18. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats what Im trying to get rolling here! MacBook CE
    It easily identifies what MacBook your talking about.

19. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'd only do it if you need a better screen and save some money. Besides the screen, it's really a downgrade.

20. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

Praise the Lord

sing with me brother

"God is in his holy temple"

21. Robb315 macrumors member

It's not that expensive.

Direct from Apples website, it's only $129 for 13" & 15" and $179 for the 17"

iFixit has already shown how easy it is to remove the battery yourself also.

22. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would. IMO, the better battery and better screen outweighs the more RAM, HD and marginally greater processing power in your uMB.

23. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I would do it purely for the screen, the screen is amazing even better then my 15" screens. Plus you can actually add 8gb of ram, you get firewire, and sd card slot and better battery life. I have a 2,26 and it is just as fast as my older 2.4 MB/MBP. Also the cost of replacing the battery is the same as buying a new battery from apple.

24. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I have the 13 inch 2.0 GHz with 250 GB Hard Drive, and upgraded the RAM. I paid $1500 for mine, with a military discount. Should I swap mine? I got mine in mid to late April. Is it worth the swap? I don't want money back, just the upgrades equivalent to what I paid or get a 15 inch that's around the same price. I got mine on Apple.com.

I can get a 13 inch, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB memory, 250 GB Hard Drive...all Standard!!! for cheaper than what I paid for mine.

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd say it has to do with how long you reasonably expect to keep and use your computer. If you'll be coveting a newer, faster, cooler model a year or 18 months down the road, you may as well keep using what you've got until then.

If, you're one of the 'I've paid good money for this sucker, and I'll use it till it dies.' camp, the ability to use 8 gigs of ram MAY give it a little longer lifespan down the road.

I'm not suggesting you drop a grand on ram now; that would be ludicrous. DDR3 prices will eventually drop to the point where DDR2 is now, and it may make more sense to have a system that will take that much now. Ram is generally the cheapest and best upgrade that you can make to a computer. My 1.5 ghz 12" powerbook is quite usable for basic tasks with 1.25 gigs of ram and a faster replacement hard drive, but I doubt I would even touch it if it were stuck with the original 256 or 512 mb's of ram.