Should I trade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kraigballa, Aug 12, 2011.

  1. kraigballa macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2010
    I currently have a Sony Vaio i7, 8MB ram, 600GB HDD, 17in screen, bluray, was the top of the line at best buy about 10-11 months ago. However, I am considering trading someone for a macbook pro. His mac specs are 2.26 dual core Aluminum body macbook pro, 13in screen, 2GB ram, and I believe a 250GB hdd.

    I'm getting rid of my Sony to get a mac based computer and he is getting rid of his mac to get a windows based computer. Should I make this trade even though my computer has better hardware specs?

    Also is there anything I can do/run on the mac in order to test the hardware for failures? I don't want to trade for a broken mac.
  2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502


    Mar 14, 2008
    What's the model number of the Sony Vaio?

    You can do a hardware test using the cd that come with the mac.
    Using Apple Hardware Test
  3. kraigballa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2010
  4. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Mar 14, 2008
    What are your computing needs? You're trading for a computer with roughly 1/3 to half the power of what you currently have, so knowing what you will do with the computer would help us help you.
  5. kraigballa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2010
    Well I'm a Internet needs, and possibly some SC2.
  6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Aug 1, 2011
    You would be a fool to trade your computer for his.

    You'd be better off selling it on eBay or trading it to best buy and using the money to buy a more recent Macbook Pro.

    Goodness, I mean, just because it's Apple doesn't make it a good computer. You were actually considering trading in a top of the line PC machine for an Apple computer that's good for nothing but spare parts.
  7. hammten macrumors regular

    Jul 7, 2008
    You are taking a big hit in performance just to move to osx. I would research on sites like ebay and CL to see how much each of those laptops go for so you can make.a more informed decision.
  8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816


    Jun 17, 2009
    Redford, MI
    I agree with the others. You'd be better off selling your current laptop and using the money to buy a newer MacBook Pro. If you trade you'll be giving up a lot just to switch to a Mac, and there's better ways to go about it.
  9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Jan 1, 2011
    i love macbooks but ur getting ripped trading it in for a macbook thats a bit out of date
  10. kraigballa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have had it craigslist priced for $800 with not a lot bites. Now it's at $700. I really just wanted to get a new mac before school starts.
  11. maril1111 macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2010
    I would wait as sometimes people bite the bullet on the last minute in Ebay auctions however i have sometimes seen shops do a trade in your old laptop for a new laptop (with a bit of extra payment of course). Maybe you could go this route.

    Also if you are a student you could use student discount at apple shops.
  12. hammten macrumors regular

    Jul 7, 2008
    If you go the ebay route, your laptop would fetch about 675 after fees, assuming you have some feedback for credibility.....

    To be honest, the macbook pro he is offering goes for about the same price on ebay. The reality is that you are trading a much more powerful computer for the ability to "have" a mac. If it were me, fwiw, i would hold on to your laptop for a couple years, or sell on ebay for the 675, and explore other options with macs, that is unless the kid's mac that you are considering trading for has applecare, does it?

Share This Page