Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maybeNot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
UK
Hi everyone! About a month ago I started thinking about updating to High Sierra, so I started looking on internet for videos, reviews and forums to see if its worthy. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, so this can come as a silly question for some people, but I have bad experiences with updating to a new os bought on Macs and iPhones. I know that updating from a older machine its probably gone make your experience a hell, but since I have a new Mac, maybe it will be different. To be fair my experience with Sierra it's not what I expected. My 2009 MacBook Pro is more stable and faster with Snow Leopard than this laptop (too bad that it feels like a brick now :)) ). So what do you guys think?

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
One word: nope.

I went to High Sierra on a 2017 MacBook Pro, and all sorts of problems arose. Most notably: my Bluetooth module is randomly unresponsive and crashes, and the computer often crashes and restarts itself in sleep mode. Didn’t have these issues in Sierra. Hoping 10.13.4 will bring a fix.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Hi everyone! About a month ago I started thinking about updating to High Sierra, so I started looking on internet for videos, reviews and forums to see if its worthy. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, so this can come as a silly question for some people, but I have bad experiences with updating to a new os bought on Macs and iPhones. I know that updating from a older machine its probably gone make your experience a hell, but since I have a new Mac, maybe it will be different. To be fair my experience with Sierra it's not what I expected. My 2009 MacBook Pro is more stable and faster with Snow Leopard than this laptop (too bad that it feels like a brick now :)) ). So what do you guys think?

I was considering to update from Sierra for months. Now I will leave High Sierra out. I will see what they have this autumn.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I have no problems with it. Before doing so backup everything and run a disk scan to check for damages and repair them. Some people will wipe the disk and do a clean install. This is hard but maybe good to do every few years to clear away the digital dust.

Reactions: tigerandyx9

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You've waited this long so why not wait a bit longer until High Sierra is final at .5 or .6.? When you do decide to update, clone your drive, boot from the clone then erase the internal drive and install High Sierra. This option will make the drive change to APFS. Importing or manually bringing over your data into the new format should be more stable than converting a drive with data on the drive.

Software used to Clone:

CarbonCopyCloner http://www.bombich.com/download.html (All options are available free for 30 days)

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/ (Free forever to do an erase and install. Purchased version allows for smart updates and schedules)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Nope. Stick with Sierra.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Many Many threads asking the same question. I for one, and there are many others, that have had absolutely no issues with HS. My one word answer - YEP!!!!!!!!!

Lou

Reactions: simonsi

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My iMac is doing well, though it's not perfect. I've had some situations where the iMac froze and needs to be rebooted. Because I'm on APFS, boot up is painfully slow, but overall I'm fairly satisified with the HS. Yeah its not perfect and OP, if you don't need any of the features of HS, then I say hold off.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hi everyone! About a month ago I started thinking about updating to High Sierra, so I started looking on internet for videos, reviews and forums to see if its worthy. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro

If you have a newish machine yes

If you have one that supports Mavericks, I would stay there

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Wait for 10.13.4
10.13.3 is when I made the change on all systems so the next release should be just as stable.
[doublepost=1521984974][/doublepost]
Because I'm on APFS, boot up is painfully slow, but overall I'm fairly satisified with the HS.
Is this due to it being a spinner?
[doublepost=1521985117][/doublepost]
You've waited this long so why not wait a bit longer until High Sierra is final at .5 or .6.?
.4 is expected this week (Tue?) but .5 and .6 are historically in two month increments after .4

biker4mac

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2001
South Central Pennsylvania
Not now, too many problems (read the forums.)

Apple has been doing the new features vs stability steps for awhile now - since Leopard and Snow Leopard. New features in the first release and then concentrate on stability and efficiency on the second. Everything I’ve seen has said High Sierra totally broke that. They’ve been having more - and bigger - issues with High Sierra than they had with Sierra.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One more vote to "stay with Low Sierra".
If what you have now is running right for you, stick with it.

High Sierra seems fraught with problems for too many folks.
Do ya feel lucky....? ;)

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I'm running 10.13.3 on a late 2013 15" rMBP without any problems, but I took the cautious approach. I waited for 10.13.3 before doing the update, had an up to date clone of my existing drive (SuperDuper), did a clean install of HS from a bootable USB stick (Boot Buddy or Install Disk Creator) to a new SSD, reinstalled all apps that I could from the App Store, manually migrated other apps and important files from the system clone, then tested by booting from the new SSD for about a week. After finding everything was working properly, I cloned the new SSD to the existing rMBP drive and now have both an up to date clone of the old system (if I need to revert) and a clone of the new system, which is always good practice.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
So far, really good. I have read and seen vids (lots of them) on HS, there is enough out there to scare anyone away. I have upgraded from El Cap, Sierra and now High Sierra. This was the easiest install of the three for me. I really like the update to Photos. Truth is you will find more negative views on sites because those that are happy with their upgrade won't be looking or contributing to threads such as this one.
Back up, then I recommend to upgrade to High Sierra.

Reactions: MSastre

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
High Sierra has been very stable for me and I have to say I've had less issues with High Sierra than I have with El Capitan and Sierra. Had more kernel panics / crashes in 10.11 and 10.12 than I have with 10.13. I think I've only had one kernel panic with 10.13 and that might have been the .0 release (I know - I played a dangerous game upgrading at the GM, but I wanted to take advantage of the improvements to the WindowServer early on).

I've certainly noticed a few bugs in High Sierra but most of the bugs I noticed have presumably since been fixed as I haven't noticed most of them since the .2 update. Apple have really focused on stability with 10.13 which is a welcome change from their recent track record. As long as you have a full Time Machine backup or something else that does the same job, I would recommend upgrading. However the .4 update is due soon, so you might want to wait until then.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think Snow Leopard is pretty much unusable in 2018. With an SSD and 8 GB RAM, a 2009 MacBook Pro, albeit not fast, is more than usable with El Capitan or Sierra (patched install) or High Sierra (patched install). I have my 2009 MacBook Pro with SSD and 8 GB running High Sierra. Same with my 4 GB 2008 aluminum MacBook.

As for the 2017 MacBook Pro, if you no specific need to upgrade, Sierra is fine for now. I'm running all my machines with High Sierra, including my 2017 MacBook and 2017 iMac, but 10.13.1 and 10.13.2 were pretty buggy. 10.13.3 has been decent, but it's still not 100% mature. I might recommend waiting for 10.13.4 or 10.13.5. The other issue with High Sierra though is that it's rather picky with old software. There are a lot more software applications that don't work 100% on High Sierra, and which never will work 100% on High Sierra since they're no longer supported. eg. Adobe CS6, Office 2011, etc.

Reactions: tigerandyx9

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
My oldest Mac is running 10.5.8.11, my newest, Sierra. I usually update pretty quick, but the new file system is something none of my older Macs can deal with.
I may just wait out High Sierra, and see if 10.14.1 will run iOS Apps. That might be worth making a switch for.
Of course, if Apple clamps down any harder on whose software I can run it may just be bye bye to more Macs.
Both "Security and Privacy" and "Accessibility" have been getting more painful to use in recent years.

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
My late 2011 MacBook Pro came with OSX Lion and has been upgraded through Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra all without problems. Tried High Sierra both as an upgrade and a new install and had issues that I just couldn't fix and didn't want to live with so went back to Sierra. For me High Sierra is still a broken mess that seems like it should still be in Beta. Plus I have noticed that updates seem to have dried up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.