Should I upgrade from 4s to 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekboi, Oct 25, 2013.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I usually upgrade every other release, so I guess it's about that time.

Has anybody made this jump? i'm mostly concerned about performance and video since I tend to do a lot more gaming these days. Is the performance increase between 4s and 5s that noticeable?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have an iPhone 5 (had the 4S previously), and I can tell you that the performance increase was incredibly dramatic even between those two.

The 5s is even more powerful than the 5, so yes, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

3. jtfish macrumors newbie

I went from the 4s to the 5s about three weeks ago and I can't say I'm disappointed. Performance is noticeably better. I didn't like the larger size at first but it's starting to grow on me, especially when I look at my old 4s.

4. phillytim, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Absolutely better; and I came from a 4S to my new 5S. The new A7 chip dominates & blows away any other mobile processor on the market right now.

Not only performance, but you'll get the bigger screen AND LTE carrier service, to make it soooo much faster while you're out web surfing. And once you do the fingerprint sensor, you'll never ever go without!

Absolutely upgrade!

5. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I upgraded from 4S to 5S, and love it! It is noticeably faster, and the fingerprint technology is very handy.

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I was gonna hold onto my 4S until the 6, but caved in after my room mate got his 5S. It's noticeably faster, camera is noticeably better, fingerprint sensor is actually awesome and useful, screen size increase is awesome, phone is lighter, lightning cord is less trouble, phone is just buttery smooth and fast as ever. 64 bit, M7. Great upgrade. Even though I only like to upgrade every 2 years, I am definitely selling this for the 6. :D But the upgrade is worth it! Forgot to mention I don't even need to take my charge cord to work anymore because my phone is still at 50% when I plug it in before bed, battery life is amazing!!

7. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Do it.

I made the jump and couldn't be happier. The 5S is a remarkable device.

8. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

9. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

10. cchunk macrumors 6502

I came from a 4s as well and it is such an amazing difference. Speed of the 5s is crazy fast compared to the 4s. No lag at all and having LTE is an amazing addition. Definitely upgrade if you can

11. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

you definitely should. it's a big jump in performance and features.

12. joshdammit macrumors 6502

I made the jump from the 4S, and I still don't regret it.

I was one of the people who thought "That's nice, but I've never had any real performance issues with my iPhone." And then I got the phone and I'm just amazed at how smoothly everything runs compared to the 4S I previously thought ran decent enough.

The screen size was another thing I balked at when the 5 came out. "Oh wow, an extra row of icons! Glad to see you aren't phoning this one in, Apple." (SEE WHAT I DID THERE???) I want a larger screen. A wider screen. And to this day, if Apple were to announce a wider-screened iPhone, I'd still go and get one. The difference is, now I no longer say I "need" a wider screen. The 16:9 aspect ratio, combined with the design of iOS, really gives you everything you need from an iPhone display. And it is nice having a phone that fits comfortably in your hand.

Now I realize I'm going to sound like a fanboy, so I'm going to throw in some critique: Contrary to what Apple wants us to think, that extra inch of space on the screen does make reaching things on the top of my screen with my thumb a little awkward. I have smaller hands, which makes typing on my iPhone great, but not so much this. With that said, it's nothing I can't overcome by holding my phone a little differently. I barely notice this issue so much anymore.

I also really wish Apple would've wow'd us with the battery life. Don't get me wrong, the battery in the 5s does a great job... for a smartphone. But with Motorola claiming their new phone gives 24 hour battery life, even if they're off on that number I'm sure the actual results are still impressive.

Overall, this is a very solid phone that (thanks in part to the A7 and M7) will last many iPhone users a long time if they don't want to keep upgrading.

Get a 5s. :)

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Definite speed boost from the 4s to the 5 or 5s.

14. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

Is the 4 inch screen size the best size for gaming and video? If this is what you do most of the time, then you may wish to try out other larger phones to see if your overall experience is better. I found gaming on the Galaxy S4 to be quite a good experience due to the larger size even though i feel that games run faster and smoother on a regular I phone 5 (Asphalt 8)..The 5s should give you amazing gaming speed..

The Galaxy Note 3 is also an option, if you are OK with the larger form factor (actually it is a beast when it comes to size)...I tried it out, loved it but would never have that size of a phone...I would spend the extra money and buy a ipad mini for gaming..

15. Vladislav macrumors regular

Well just to be awkward, and to be contrary to others here, im still holding my 4S for another year!
    i mean 4S is a still awesome phone and capable of anything, and no slow by any means! And you can still play all those games on 4s same as on 5S, just maybe they will be loading faster, but i aint spending 600$ to make my games load faster and maybe a split second faster in all regular other things i do on my iphone 4S.
    Touch ID? i never had password anyway, not for me.
    Better camera? 4S still have 8 MP camera which is still pretty good.

16. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I made that upgrade a week ago. I didn't realize how much every facet of the phone has been improved.

Not only is it lighter, faster, LTE-equipped and toting a better and bigger screen, but Touch ID works brilliantly. And that's to say nothing of the camera.

I was hesitant to upgrade because the 4s is still a very capable phone, but it can't touch this.

17. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

There is a definite performance upgrade, but I also saw a huge increase between the 4S and the 5, save some $$$ and go with a 5 if you are buying it outright... If you have a free/cheap upgrade to a 5s, go that route...

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you want to sure.

Any one else find it ironic that tekboi is asking a tech question?

19. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Note III is anything but a phone ....

21. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I've made the upgrade from 4s- 5s and I love it but it is not a mind blowing change. I recommend doing it, if you are selling your old phone or 200-400 dollars is no big deal. Otherwise, I am sure the 4s is still an amazing phone.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Three letters: LTE.

[​IMG]