Should I upgrade MBP 2011 i7 from mountain lion to Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgiera, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sgiera macrumors member

Should I upgrade MBP 2011 i7 from mountain lion to Yosemite? It's my wife's computer and didn't know if we should. She normally uses for Internet only. Very light user.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not necessary, considering ML still receives security updates.

Note that Yosemite doesn't run all that well on HDDs.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Of course you should. Get on with the times.
    And Yosemite not running well on HDDs is false. I ran Yosemite on a 2008 MBP with the original HDD and had no problems.

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I've been running Yosemite on my late 2011 mbp for a few months and haven't had any probs. I'd say try it out and see how it runs for you as every machine is different. Just make sure to make a TM backup in case you want to go back to ML.

5. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'm running an early-2011 15" on Yosemite (and on an HDD, currently), and it still flies like the day I got it. I don't notice any hiccups due to lack of processing power. I say do it. She'd probably appreciate the improved aesthetics.

6. redneck6497 macrumors member

I upgraded my 2009 .... so I say YES! One thing I would do though is change the transparency setting which is a big battery saver. We have older machines which aren't as good on battery to begin with. It makes a big difference!

7. Pranky macrumors newbie

I say don't do it. Was recently freelancing in an office where in the middle of my gig they upgraded to Yosemite to make it play nice with their server. Noticeable difference. Flickering when moving the mouse, unexplained hang ups. And this was on a relatively new iMac (thin version) with 16 GB of RAM.

If she's that light a user, I think you're rolling the dice. Not saying it's going to wreck the machine, but I wouldn't take the chance.

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I like Yosemite. Not a fan of Apple dropping TRIM support on 3rd party SSD's but you can re-enable it rather easy.