should I upgrade my 15" c2d to 15" i5? or wait till october?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayo123456, Sep 5, 2010.

  1. jayo123456 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
  3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Ontario
    #3
    as jessica aded, do you need it now, do you need the turbo boost, and hyper threading or would a c2d do fine for you? and many people have speculated but the next mac book pros will probably not be out until spring 2011? so are you going to wait until october hoping for refresh or enjoy the computer now?
     
  4. jayo123456 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    #4
    nah, just feel like getting a new toy.

    CL'ing my current mbp for an i5, is just a few hundred out of my pocket.
     
  5. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #5
    October won't happen, at least for an i5. The i7 might get a small clock speed boost, but otherwise there won't be a change. 6 months is a short cycle for the MBP
     
  6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #6
    where is everyone getting october from anyhow????? that wasn't the previous refresh before the last one, was it?
     
  7. jayo123456 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    #7
    i got burned 2 yrs ago...purchased my first MB in sept, they released unibody 1 month after.

    would suck if it happened again
     
  8. bamf macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    #8
    I've said it before - the current 15" i5 is the finest computer I've ever owned. Buy it now...
     
  9. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Ontario
    #9
    yeah same with my 2007 macbook, bought it in november, but i did not really research it, they are quite a fine machine but if its a new toy you want wait for next spring, by then they will have a refresh and they will be a spectacle =D
     
  10. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

    mgartner0622

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #10
    Just wait!
    A Core 2 Duo is still an very capable machine.
    All the i5 and i3's are is essentially a slightly more power freindly Core 2 Duo with Hyperthreading. Even though the Core 2 Duo has been out for a while now, it's tried and tested, and still comes in many notebooks for sale today (the 13" MacBook & Pro for instance)
    You won't see a difference if you do anything short of professional movie editing or something high-processor use like that.
    If I were in your position, I would wait AT LEAST 2 more refresh cycles.
    You have a great machine, and would probably still be able to run all the latest software for the next 4-6 years.
    My 2-Cents.
     
  11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #11
    The refresh will be no earlier than Early 2011 since Sandy Bridge is scheduled to be delivered in Q1 2011
     
  12. CW Jones macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    Location:
    CT
    #12
    Is anything wrong with your current model? If not I would say keep it or else you will be upgrading every refresh and wasting money.

    I have had my C2D for almost a year now, I got it about 4 months before the i5/i7 release. I see no need to upgrade to either of those right now. I do lots of photography and design work on mine as well and have yet to decide that I NEED it.

    Wait another 6 months or so and see if anything comes out in Q1 of 2011.
     

Share This Page