Should I upgrade my Core Duo 2Ghz MBP?

aye5882

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
68
0
Hey guys, i've been conteomplating whether i should upgrade my rev A MBP to the current notebook when leopard comes out. Right not, my notebook has 2GB RAM with a 80Gb HDD...

i think it would be a nice speed boost, LED monitor as well as it would be cooler (temperature wise, not socially :p). or do you guys think i should wait til penryn comes out... or maybe even montiniva?

i know the longer i wait the better the technology will get... but i want to balance that w/ me being able to sell my current mbp for a significant price and help pay for the new one...

so what do you think i should do?? i just web surf, use office, occasionally use Reason to make beats... get on bootcamp to play Counter-Strike... but I will definitely be purchasing Starcraft 3.

Thanks for the input!
 

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
900
104
France
I have the same machine as you (rev a 2.0 GHZ MBP 100GB 2GB ram 256 x1600)
I will stick with this wonderful machine at least 1 year more. 2.0-->2.4 for what I do, is not a big step.
I will wait until they have quad in MBP, and a 8800 or equivalent card. Maybe a redesign...
Dont waste money, your MBP is fast as hell, and there is no need to upgrade just because there is something better. (unless you are a geek)
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
I don't think you'll get a significant boost in most regular uses, but if you feel that you're ready to make the upgrade then why not.
 

pmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2005
117
0
Yeah, I have a similar machine. Definitely not worth it, you would be better off upgrading the hardware in your current machine. I put a 250GB 5400RPM hard drive, a SuperDrive and 2GB of RAM in mine. Soon I will put in an 802.11n compatible WiFi card.
 

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
1,625
0
Well, knowing the suckers on ebay I bet you could sell that one for 100 bucks less than a new MBP to offset the cost of upgrading.
 

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
793
1
US
weird. I was thinking the exact same thing today about mine (same model as you!) and decided against it after quite a bit of diliberation. Although, I've seen our models go for like over 1500 on ebay (wtf? you could get a 2.16 c2d for cheaper) which is actually more then i paid for mine on the apple site 6 months ago right now, so it really depends on whether or not you think the slight boost for what you are doing is worth it.

I do a lot of rendering in solidworks via parallels and such too, but i decided... my computer has been SOOOO perfect... and so void of all the common rev A flaws... and runs cool etc, I just couldn't bear to part with it. However, if you are one of those people who likes to offset cost by upgrading every year or so... DO IT! It's always sorta fun to get the next best thing, and why not do it while you can get almost market for your comp? Once their is a redesign (i've heard rumblings) if it's any good, you may see quite a drop in resale.

I'd say stick with it, but it's personal preference... Maybe see how much you can get then decide?