iPad Should I upgrade my iPad air to the air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 32gb Verizon iPad Air. I never use the data on it because I am a sales rep for the company and they provide me with a work phone and I have my iPhone 5s as my personal while I am on the go. Thinking about going for that 64gb wifi. Thoughts?

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

The Air 2 seems like enough of an upgrade from the Air to make it a worthwhile upgrade (which is more than I can say for the Mini...) so hey, if you fancy it and you can afford it, go for it and sell your Cellular Air. I know I would in your position.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It doesn't look like that big of an upgrade on paper, but it SCREAMS in performance. The display also looks a bit better, especially in sunlight. Try it out at an Apple Store before you decide. The Air 1 is still an amazing iPad though.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I would say no. But that's me. My Air Has been a workhorse for me and has never given any trouble. The speed upgrade is nice I suppose but that's really it. Much of the rest of it is rather meh, IMO.

5. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I also vote no. They say it's lighter, yet barely. Thinner? Again, barely noticeable.

They say it's faster, I really don't notice.

I haven't tried the screen outdoors, but indoors, it doesn't look all that much better to me.

They offer Gold, touch ID, anti-reflective coating, 2GB memory for programs.

I have one and I love it, but given the choice. Not really worth it. IMHO

6. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

My vote is also no. Happy with my original Air, and don't really need Touch ID or speed bump yet. Maybe next year.

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I did mainly because I wanted black since i had silver before lol

8. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Only a good upgrade for 64gb for the price of last years 32gb. :)

9. Zeos macrumors 6502

Just upgraded. Really, I would suggest you wait unless you play intense games, need a faster iPad, or need touch ID. It's zippier and a little thinner, but not much lighter. The screen, for all intents and purposes, is the same quality.

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Everyone is different in their needs. For me, it has been totally worth upgrading from the Air 1 to the 2. Just not having to deal with the Safari refresh issue has been a blessing.

11. Rockies macrumors 6502

I traded my Ipad Air 1 for the Air 2 and couldn't be more happy.

- Improved camera (significantly better in low light)
    - Slo-Mo and Time lapse video
    - 2GB Ram (no more crashing Safari tabs)
    - Blazing new processor
    - No more spongy screen like Air 1
    - Slightly thinner and lighter
    - More vivid and contrast colors
    - Touch ID
    - Panorama picture taking
    - Improved front facing HD Facetime camera with new sensor
    - Improved wireless

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Half of those are camera or video related. Kind of meh for lots of users. The safai crashing or tab reloading doesn't happen to everyone. Improved wireless?the Air never had any issues.

The Air2 has a few upgrades but the real list is pretty small.

13. ipadlvr macrumors regular

How's your #distortwhileholdinggate?

14. Rockies macrumors 6502

To each there own. If speed, RAM, screen, and camera are not important factors, then yes I would not upgrade.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

It's somewhat pointless asking because 99% of the time you'll get replies from people looking to justify their purchase.

Every time I've upgraded my iPad there was real reason to do so, instantly noticeable benefits. I have read every review of the Air 2 and they all say the same thing. If you own last years Air then there is no compelling reason right now to upgrade.

Yes it's a screamer under the hood BUT, and people keep forgetting about this, developers will not specifically target the A8 chipsets until the install base is large enough. The first Air is only just behind the iPhone 6 Plus in terms of Geekbench scores, which although "only benchmarks" show that the Air 1 isn't goign to just fade away when A8 has a larger install base.

Eventually that Multi Core will get pushed but it'll come when there's anither newer iPad out with an even faster CPU/GPU. That's how iOS devices work now, you do not see the full benefits of the new chipset straight away.

Sure you'll see some more frames per second in some games but reviewers that ran Asphalt 8 side by side on both Air's could tell zero difference, both devices showning the same performance and all the same visual effects due to Metal. The Air's A7 still supports Metal just like the A8, so it's going to benefit from the removal of those graphical overheads and still churn out some great titles for the next 12 months.

If you're sick of Safari tabs reloading then by all means upgrade to get full use of that 2GB of RAM but the single core score on both Air's is far closer than the multi core (obviously as there's an extra core), so in normal day to day use there's very little between them.

I went from iPad 3 to iPad 4 to iPad Air. I'm sticking this year.

16. Teste macrumors 6502

Keep the Air 1. The Air 2 has strong sound vibrations through the chassis and the screen suffers distortions when you hold it with your right hand. Apple's obsession with thiness is damaging the quality of their devices.