should i upgrade to 8gb 1600mhz ram? & problem of consuming battery while plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenZhang, Jun 16, 2011.

1. BenZhang macrumors newbie

the one option I know is Kingston HyperX T1.
    the question I have is if this upgrade will shorten the battery-time significantly?

the other problem is when I am playing games on windows 7, the laptop seems to be really hungry that appears a battery drop while it's plugged in.
    wonder if anyone else out there that has the same problem as mine.

btw, those questions are for the 2011 mbp

thanks for all the replies :)

2. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

1.) You might notice a little less battery because the 1600mhz draw more power. The change will probably be insignificant. There is only one way to know for sure.

2.) Windows 7 does not use the dynamic graphics card switching as does Mac OS X. It will constantly use the descrete graphics card, thus using more power, thus shorter battery life.

3. BenZhang thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the reply

but what I mean is that while I was playing games, the mbp uses power from both the adapter AND the battery!
    this is really wired

4. JR1993 macrumors regular

I have seen this in another thread. Sometimes the MBP will draw more power than is supplied by the adapter. When this happens, it draws extra power from the battery also. You could say that is stupid, I think it is, but it is what happens. The adapter just cant supply enough power

5. BenZhang thread starter macrumors newbie

that is what im thinking as well, maybe apple dont want to change the adapter until next redesigned mbp.

and if the adapter looks like the one with alienware m18x is way more ridiculous for a laptop....just saying

thanks for the reply:)