Should I upgrade to Sierra? (2012 iMac running Yosemite)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So like the title do you guys think the upgrade is worth it? I havent really touched any updates since I got my Mac maybe one upgrade cant remember what it came with. Everything runs smooth as is but is there any security updates or things that I'm maybe missing out on by not upgrading?

If I do upgrade what should I keep on mind? Any apps that are working now that won't work on the new Sierra? I don't have much but there are crucial ones I use like 1Password, Alfred, Logic, BetterTouchTool, Tweetbot and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Any tips are appreciated.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm still on 10.10.5 too on my Mac Pro 5.1. I don't really miss anything of the later upgrades. My main workflow - now 8mmToDigital video edits and renders - runs like a Swiss Clockwork.

Why upgrade when you're happy the way things work ATM. I'll upgrade only if security updates are no longer supported or other bad things happens to my current macOS!

For the look and feel test drive and or beta's of a new OS (PC/MAC) I use virtual machines in Fusion.

Check the lists for your desired new macOS here on MR for all your must-have apps!

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So like the title do you guys think the upgrade is worth it? I havent really touched any updates since I got my Mac maybe one upgrade cant remember what it came with. Everything runs smooth as is but is there any security updates or things that I'm maybe missing out on by not upgrading?

If I do upgrade what should I keep on mind? Any apps that are working now that won't work on the new Sierra? I don't have much but there are crucial ones I use like 1Password, Alfred, Logic, BetterTouchTool, Tweetbot and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Any tips are appreciated.
Like you can't be bothered to read the What Works and What doesn't sticky post?
Of course there are LOTS of security updates given you are TWO versions behind, macOS High Sierra is out now...
There are also lots of threads on update success/failure etc but bear in mind <most> people on the planet will have a painless upgrade with no issues. Those that have issues tend to look for help hence they are over-represented here.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Just to be more clear, I have always ran all security updates for Yosemite ytd. Of course that's important. But other then that, I still hesitate to move forward. But true that's a more personal choice.

Cheers

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
Never had trouble with Sierra, even on an old 2010 Mini. About the only “need” is to have at least 4GB of RAM, but Macs really take advantage of more RAM regardless of which version of 10.x you’re running.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I tend to agree with m4v3 above.
Like the old saying goes: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HOWEVER
If you'd like to try either Sierra or High Sierra, try it.

BUT...
I caution you to do two things first.

Create a BOOTABLE CLONED BACKUP of your current installation using CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper). Either of these is FREE to download and use for 30 days.
WITHOUT a bootable cloned backup, you're going to have a VERY hard time "getting back" if you upgrade and find everything "going wrong" on you.

Download the installer, then create a bootable USB flash drive with the installer on it.
You'll need one of these (all are free):
- Boot Buddy
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator
... and a USB flash drive 16gb or larger.

Things will go easier if you do it this way.
Also, if you use Filevault, I suggest you de-crypt the drive BEFORE the installation.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Just to be more clear, I have always ran all security updates for Yosemite ytd.
Yosemite no longer receives security updates. Apple only supports two older systems and the current system now.

High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan receive security updaters.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
I tend to agree with m4v3 above.
Like the old saying goes: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HOWEVER
If you'd like to try either Sierra or High Sierra, try it.

BUT...
I caution you to do two things first.

Create a BOOTABLE CLONED BACKUP of your current installation using CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper). Either of these is FREE to download and use for 30 days.
WITHOUT a bootable cloned backup, you're going to have a VERY hard time "getting back" if you upgrade and find everything "going wrong" on you.

Download the installer, then create a bootable USB flash drive with the installer on it.
You'll need one of these (all are free):
- Boot Buddy
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator
... and a USB flash drive 16gb or larger.

Things will go easier if you do it this way.
Also, if you use Filevault, I suggest you de-crypt the drive BEFORE the installation.
The bootable USB installer can also be done with cut and paste code into Terminal. And you only need an 8GB (that's what I used).
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-create-a-usb-installer-for-macos-high-sierra/

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
IComing from SL I switched 2 years ago to ML - was even with OSX 10.5 until 1 year ago on my MBP classic from 2012 ... ;)

It just worked fine.

Switched about one year ago from there to 1o.11 and was very pleased about it.

about 2 or 3 months ago I switched again - now it is Sierra aka 10.12 - works fine and even more faster on my 2012 machine (though upgraded since years with fast Samsung SSD ´s and now 16 GB RAM).

IMHO 8 GB is enough RAM, never had Problems before upgrading to the max of 16 GB ( I did this just because RAM got very cheap, even Samsung). ElCapitan and Sierra handle RAM even more economically.

I would NEVER EVER recommend to switch to the newest OS before it gets really stable and usable - this is the case just before the next-after OS starts "traditionally" with all its bugs and problems. Would not even think about testing High Sierra now - BUT: ElCapitan and now also Sierra are really worth to go for it.

As you see, I used very old , but stable OSX-Versions for a long time (Don´t change a running system) - but I did not regret upgrading - I am very pleased with Sierra.

I was very careful: Using a 2 TB SSD in my MBPc, I created two "drives" of each 1 TB.
The old system rested on 1 bootable system. CCC helped me to copy the whole System onto the second virtual drive on the SSD (might take a night, depending on quantity of data) .

Then I upgraded the new Copy of the old system with the new OSX.

Since both (new and old systems) on the virtual disks are fully functional and bootable, there is zero risc for you and you can compare them and test the new one as long as you want to.

After my good experiences with 10.11 and 10.12 I can recommend to go for Sierra.
Go for it!

edit:

the newer Safari-Versions are much more secure and double as fast as the old ones.
And apple did really much for more security of their Software.

Last edited: