Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I have a 6 plus on order, and I was thinking of using my current back up of my 5s.

Is this a good idea or not?

I want to do it, because I have my 5s working just how I like it. I have all the apps installed and my settings are just like I want.:rolleyes:

If this thread was already created, apologies.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Well purchasing AppleCare+ and a few accessories helped me to decide rather quickly I needed to sell my iPhone 5 :D

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Shouldn't be a problem. I restored my 5s backup from iCloud into my 6. No problems what so ever.

Worst case scenario, you find the backup problematic, you erase all content and settings and setup phone as new.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Got my 6 and once I was happy with the way it was set up and comfortable that it was working fine for a few days, my 5 went right into my wife's hands. Not worth keeping as a backup. I have Applecare on my 6 and still have an old 3GS laying around in an emergency.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a 6 plus on order, and I was thinking of using my current back up of my 5s.

I want to do it, because I have my 5s working just how I like it. I have all the apps installed and my settings are just like I want.:rolleyes:

You shouldn't have any problems doing that. It's what I always do. I've been restoring from backup when I upgrade to a new iPhone since 2008 with the iPhone 3G.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I setup my 6 with a backup of my 5 and I have to say it was the most smooth transition I have ever had with my iPhones. I'd say go for it...

jayf

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
I setup my 6 with a backup of my 5 and I have to say it was the most smooth transition I have ever had with my iPhones. I'd say go for it...

Same. In fact, except for the larger format, it seems like I never switched phones at all.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't see why not. I used a backup of my 4S when I got my 6 Plus. The only thing I'm concerned about however is all the "other" data that takes up over a third of my iPhone's storage space. But if you're not concerned about your geebees, go ahead.

Kurios2

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012

I was reluctant at first, but went ahead and backed up from iphone 4, not 4s, but 4. Had many apps on 4 and all my Outlook accounts. It went so smooth through iTunes and I'm a happy camper. I thought I had a major problem with photos and video, but this is a new version. Hate it! Otherwise, go for it! Good luck.

AppleKing786

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Somewhat related question: I was thinking of starting from scratch and not restoring from my iphone 5 icloud backup. Thought starting new would be cleaner, less bugs/hiccups, and i don't really care for much of what i have in the backup. It will help me be more minimalist.

Thoughts?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Somewhat related question: I was thinking of starting from scratch and not restoring from my iphone 5 icloud backup. Thought starting new would be cleaner, less bugs/hiccups, and i don't really care for much of what i have in the backup. It will help me be more minimalist.

Thoughts?
If you don't really care for the existing data on your old phone, then I would recommend restoring it from scratch. Exactly for the reasons that you stated. No strange documents and data in the background fragmenting your storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.