Should I use 5s Back Up for New 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vi2867, Oct 9, 2014.

1. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I have a 6 plus on order, and I was thinking of using my current back up of my 5s.

Is this a good idea or not?

I want to do it, because I have my 5s working just how I like it. I have all the apps installed and my settings are just like I want.:rolleyes:

If this thread was already created, apologies.

2. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Well purchasing AppleCare+ and a few accessories helped me to decide rather quickly I needed to sell my iPhone 5 :D

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Shouldn't be a problem. I restored my 5s backup from iCloud into my 6. No problems what so ever.

Worst case scenario, you find the backup problematic, you erase all content and settings and setup phone as new.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Got my 6 and once I was happy with the way it was set up and comfortable that it was working fine for a few days, my 5 went right into my wife's hands. Not worth keeping as a backup. I have Applecare on my 6 and still have an old 3GS laying around in an emergency.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

You shouldn't have any problems doing that. It's what I always do. I've been restoring from backup when I upgrade to a new iPhone since 2008 with the iPhone 3G.

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I setup my 6 with a backup of my 5 and I have to say it was the most smooth transition I have ever had with my iPhones. I'd say go for it...

7. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I went from a 4S back up to a 6, and the world didn't end.

You'll be fine.

8. jayf macrumors member

Same. In fact, except for the larger format, it seems like I never switched phones at all.

9. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I don't see why not. I used a backup of my 4S when I got my 6 Plus. The only thing I'm concerned about however is all the "other" data that takes up over a third of my iPhone's storage space. But if you're not concerned about your geebees, go ahead.

10. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

I was reluctant at first, but went ahead and backed up from iphone 4, not 4s, but 4. Had many apps on 4 and all my Outlook accounts. It went so smooth through iTunes and I'm a happy camper. I thought I had a major problem with photos and video, but this is a new version. Hate it! Otherwise, go for it! Good luck.

11. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Will the backup move over my photos and videos?

12. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Yes. If you've backed up a previous iPhone to iTunes, it will restore everything (all accounts, passwords, apps, photos, videos, notes, contacts, et cetera).

13. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Yes! I had over a thousand photos. I came back to make a correction. My phone is the 6, not 6 plus.

14. AppleKing786 macrumors member

AppleKing786

Somewhat related question: I was thinking of starting from scratch and not restoring from my iphone 5 icloud backup. Thought starting new would be cleaner, less bugs/hiccups, and i don't really care for much of what i have in the backup. It will help me be more minimalist.

Thoughts?

15. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

If you don't really care for the existing data on your old phone, then I would recommend restoring it from scratch. Exactly for the reasons that you stated. No strange documents and data in the background fragmenting your storage.