Should I Use my Current Speakers and Subwoofer with my new MacBook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRobby, Aug 19, 2012.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Tomorrow I'm supposedly receiving my first Mac, a MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I have a dilemma my current system is an antiquated Dell PC desktop.

I got Dell Speakers with Dell Subwoofer which unlike the computer still works and the sound is rather good.

Can I use them with the MacBook Pro. The cord looks like it would go in the headphone port on the MacBook.

But I'm not sure if it is compatible. Also Not sure if i want to combine and use a Dell product with a Mac. Perhaps i should go get new speakers?

Also, the subwoofer takes up space which I was looking forward to gaining on my desk by using a MacBook and not a huge desktop PC.

Any suggestions?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the regular analogue audio cable (3.5mm) has been unchanged for years and works fine in macs, pcs, or any other device that uses the same jack

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Said above me.
    3.5mm speaker would work if you plug it in.

4. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

anything with a 3.5mm heapdhone jack and your good to go

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

As soon as that dell is inserted into your mac, there is no going back. What is done cannot be undone. Don't come running to us when youve got six little Dellintoshes running about riot!

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

um why are you even putting the subwoofer on your desk??

7. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I just don't want the dell speakers making the MacBook look so cheap.

I was looking at the Harman Kardon sticks

Because the computer is larger than the subwoofer so that's on the floor.

8. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

Because the computer is larger than the subwoofer so that's on the floor.[/QUOTE]

Put the subwoofer on the floor from now on.. You could do damage to the screen leaving a subwoofer too close.

9. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Put the subwoofer on the floor from now on.. You could do damage to the screen leaving a subwoofer too close.[/QUOTE]

Duh! Good idea with the tower gone there more than enough room down there.

And for the meantime, I can use the Dell til I find speakers that I like.

Unless, the speakers on the Retina are comparable to the 7 year old Dell speakers. Then I'll just use them alone for now.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

can't you use your own ears to decide which sounds better to you?

sorry but you're coming at this at a completely naive and silly way. you actually believe that the decent but still vehemently ****** laptop speakers on the RMBP are even close to being comparable to an external speaker set with a subwoofer?

seriously, if someone actually told you the crappy laptop speakers were 'better', you would actually use them over the dell set? thats just embarrassing.

11. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

First of all, the MacBook is coming tomorrow. Second, it will be my first laptop. I've only used desktops with external speakers in the past. So I guess I am ignorant and naive. I'm going by how the keynote said the speakers were advanced speakers compared to other laptops.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Damage to what screen? I agree that he should keep the sub on the floor, but unless he's using an old CRT with his rMBP(I seriously doubt it), he's not going to damage the screen on his Mac

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

While the rMBP speakers are pretty good for a laptop, they will not out-perform an external system.

Your Dell speakers with the sub will sound much better!! :)