Should I wait for the MacBook Air early 2013, or buy one now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FatGuy007, Jul 26, 2012.

  1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

    Apr 8, 2012
    New York
    I want the fastest, most powerful macbook air which is 2,278 (with the super drive), 2.0ghz i7, 512 flash storage, 8gb ram.
    I dont want this for gaming, i want this for smoothness in safari, final cut pro, aperture, etc. but also capturing the portability.
    So do you think if I buy the one now, how long will it take to be outdated, because a dual core 2.0 ghz is not a lot.

    And also, when I configure the macbook air on the website, it shows no option for storage, only flash storage which I suppose is 2 different things. People say the max is 512 ssd but I can't find an option for a 512 ssd, only 512 flash. (or am i just stupid not understanding hardware).
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    For that price you could almost buy a MacBook Pro with Retina Display with a quad core CPU and a beefier GPU (which might come in handy with Aperture and FCP X), though with less storage space.

    SSD is short for Solid State Disk, which is storage based on flash memory, thus it is just an SSD, just without being in an enclosure.

    The 2013 models might get a 20 to 40 % speed bump, but it might take a year for them to arrive. If you can wait this long, wait. If not, buy now whatever you need, and if it doesn't suffice anymore, sell it and take a 200 USD loss (not bad for renting a Mac for one year).
  3. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 8, 2012
    New York
    I know it would be better, but the size, portability, and I would wait at least a year to be a new generation of a mac (for apple to fix all graphic issues, etc).

    I have macbook pro mid-2010 (the lowest specs you can get), and the spinning circle of doom is starting to annoy me more. I want speed and portability, and i might run light games.
    I can sell my mbp for about 500$, and gather 2 paychecks. But I'll guess I'll wait for 2013 because you never know they might have extra room for quad-core.
    And one more question, whats the strongest game that the macbook air can run (~30 fps)
  4. asting macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2012
    There are few games it can't run at med-low settings with that framerate. It is very moderately powered, and honestly games now are not very demanding comparatively. The most popular games are console ports meaning they have to run on very old hardware, making the hd4000 seem very speedy in comparison.
    There are no games I'd like to play on mine that I cannot (I haven't bothered with cyrsis or other stupid unoptimized games, but that's largely because I don't want to bootcamp and waste 5gb on top of that for the game).
  5. LachlanH macrumors regular

    Oct 5, 2011
    The 2012 MBA's pretty much just came out and already people are asking if they should wait?

    For gods sake, buy a 2012 model and enjoy it for a year.

    I would put the 2013 Air's at BEST in March 2013. If you need a new laptop now, buy it.
  6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

    May 4, 2012
    You should wait until the 2014 MBAs are available.
  7. erpetao macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2011
    Wrong! You need to wait for the 2015 MBAs, those are the good ones.
  8. spriter macrumors 65816


    May 13, 2004
    Damn! I appear to have bought a bad one only last month! You're right, the things I've heard about the 2015 MBA - it's a must buy :D
  9. kylera macrumors 65816


    Dec 5, 2010
    But..but..what about the 2016 version???
  10. Glockron macrumors member

    Jun 16, 2012
    My advice: Get the current MBA. It's fine - and there'll always be something better "in just a couple of months"

    I've gotta say that getting the i7 2.0 / 8 GB / 512 GB SSD is a REALLY BAD IDEA

    Apple's price for that flash memory is just ridiculous, and you can easily get by with 256 gigs. Perhaps even 128 if you use an external drive for big things, although I'm fitting everything on my 128 gigs.

    If you absolutely need the 512 gigs and you're willing to blow all your money on a ridiculous upgrade, at least get the blade SSD from OWC for cheaper - at

    I'd suggest you go with the i5 / 128 / 8. Save yourself some money. It'll be pretty much half price, meaning you can upgrade twice as often.
  11. erpetao macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2011
    Oh wait! My cousin who is an IT expert claims that the really really good ones will be the 2017 MBAs.

    You should buy 5 years before getting the laptop, use an abacus for now instead.
  12. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

    May 14, 2012
    Does that abacus come with an apple logo? I feel a name coming on... ICount...
  13. RightMACatU macrumors 65816


    Jul 12, 2012
    Ok guys (and girls), stop farting around. We all know that the world will end on December 21st :D so buy it now and enjoy!

    Note: This comment was pure sarcasm and fictional. Do no attempt this at home. :D
  14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Aug 2, 2008
    Just get it now, if something is released in the spring that you just MUST have, sell your MBA and buy a new one? Can't spend your whole life waiting to buy ****.
  15. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 8, 2012
    New York
    I have no problem with waiting, but from your guys opinions I guess I should buy the MBA and save a little more money.
    Thanks anyway, even the joking people aswell.
  16. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000


    Jun 24, 2010
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If you're waiting for the better version, you'll never get a computer, or smartphone or tablet or car, tv, etc. It's ridiculous to live life (personal or work) waiting for something better. I think it's a sad state of mind when you can't be happy with what you have or what's available today. Or maybe the real issue is that you don't really need a new computer and you're looking to put off buying something you know you don't need.

    That I can appreciate. I did the same thing with my old MBP (2007) and held on to it beyond what I should have. But the '11 13" 128gb Air I'm working on now is just so kick-a$$ that I don't see any reason for upgrading anytime soon - thank god because I hate being tempted...
  17. pandaguy macrumors member

    Jun 29, 2012
    Who knows, if you wait they may release a Retina MBP in the 13 inch size. If you can wait (I personally could not because of school in August) then I would.
  18. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Aug 2, 2008
    I just got my MBA, if the 13" rMBP is a must have ill just switch. Can't be bothered to live my life with waiting.
  19. RodPinto macrumors regular

    May 16, 2012
    This is ridiculous!!!!

    "Should i buy a new bmw series 3 now, or wait whenever the new new bmw series 3 is released?

    You will never stay Up to date with technology!
  20. torana355 macrumors 68030

    Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Ill put it this way, i have a 2011 MBA that i could sell and lose minimal money on and upgrade to a 2012 MBA today but im happy with my 2011 MBA as it does what i need This is the most important thing!!! If the 2012 MBA can do what you need it to then buy it!
  21. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

    May 4, 2012
    One of the great mysteries of the universe, why do people ask strangers on the Internet whether they should wait for an unannounced product with unknown technical specifications.
  22. RodPinto macrumors regular

    May 16, 2012
    Lol! Exactly! Specially when we're talking about a product newly released! Ridiculous!
  23. Beau10, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

    Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2008
    Downtown San Diego
    The chance of an update before Haswell is very slim, which means you'll wait at least until summer, perhaps fall, because this is Intel's schedule and Apple has largely been abiding by it in recent years.

    My take is Haswell will have the GPU punch and power frugality to allow a rMBA. But early next year, not a chance.

    My advice is to not blow your wad on a maxxed out machine... the resell is worse. And do what many people here do, just buy now, enjoy the computer for a year, and sell for a 20-30% loss and get the next one when it comes out.
  24. cmvrgr macrumors newbie

    Nov 3, 2012
    Even acer is using 1920x1080 resolution on their s7 11” & 13”. This is the only part that is missing from macbook air and the only reason to wait for the 2013 model.:)
  25. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

    Aug 11, 2009
    I'm thinking of buying my wife a MBA for Christmas, but my one reservation is when the new one will come out. Any updates?

Share This Page