Should I wait for TomTom to go on sale and forget Navigon?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by rocknblogger, Nov 18, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've been patiently waiting for a sale on Navigon or TomTom and now that Navigon has released version 2.0 it's also on sale. But after reading all the negative comments concerning the update it sounds like I should just wait for TomTom to go on sale.

To be honest I was all set to buy Navigon based on past reviews but seems like the new version isn't all that much better and there's a lot of confusion about the $19.99 map update. Is it lifetime or every two years?

Also I see a red flag based on the fact that those who bought Navigon earlier versions, bought it with the understanding that they would get lifetime map updates. Now these same people have to buy the updates.

If you still believe in Navigon and still think it's better than TomTom convince me that I should still buy it.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have not tried tom tom, but i love navigon. i havent had the chance to use 2.0 in the wild, but the layout is nice. i am used to the old layout so i prefer that for the time being, but once i get used to the new one i will adapt.

2.0 didnt bring "new features" like smaller revisions did, but i think its a great app as a whole. i only need 2 states installed which saves me a lot of space. i think people are very happy with navigon and i would definitely recommend it!

3. urkel macrumors 68030

Ive been shopping for a Navigation App for a while but was surprised that even as apps with easy access to the internet that these companies still nickel and dime you with things like subscriptions, map updates, paid traffic etc. So since Apple seems to be on the brink of making their own nav software then I decided to look at cheaper options and was surprised by two FREE apps.

Waze and Mapquest. Both of these are free but offer voice turn by turn and traffic with no extra fees. I'm not sure if a power user would be satisfied but for a casual user then these are fantastic and worth checking out before plunking down money on the paid apps.

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I use TomTom and love it. While I have not used Navigon and can't compare the two, everything I have read suggests TomTom has slightly better maps and routes while Navigon has a better UI. But, even if the maps are about on par, TomTom updates their app once every 3 months or so and includes updated maps for free each time. Also, TomTom allows users to make corrections to the maps from their phones. These corrections are then uploaded to TomTom and the pushed out to everyone else in a daily update. So really, you get free new maps almost every day with TomTom.

I'd say go with TomTom. I have yet to be disappointed with my purchase. For reference, the sale price seems to be about $35 for the whole USA version. I'd bet it will go on sale right after Thanksgiving so try to wait until then.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Despite the price, I'm yet to hear anyone complain or ask for a refund for tomtom.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I purchased TomTom last year around this time I believe. I ended up getting a refund. Maybe it improved by now. I know they released an update shortly after I was refunded that supposedly fixed my concerns. Mainly traffic and a routing issue.

I never liked navigon

7. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I thought the $19.99 updates were for there quarterly "fresh" updates to the maps...

I've been using Navigon since it was released, and I love it. I really like how they changed it up with 2.0 to allow the user to download the maps that are needed, not all. I only need two states right now, but when I take the fam on vacation, it is good to know I can download the others when needed.

I have never used TomTom so I can't say which one is better...

8. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I am thinking of moving to Tom-Tom myself. Looks like it's improved a lot since they first released the app and the traffic seems to be included in the price. I just need to do a little research and see if turn-by-turn list is included, Navigon appears to have removed that feature from routing on the 2.0 version... at least I can't find it.

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to wait and see if TomTom goes on sale after Thanksgiving or around Christmas. I just keep reading more and more negative comments about the 2.0 update.

I'm also not in a huge rush since my wife still has an EVO with free Google nav and since we would be together on any long trips we're good to go. But also I believe Apple is preparing to launch their own navigation app or more likely bake it into iOS6.

I decided to give GPS Drive ($.99) and $9.99 for the first year of voice a try. I figure between that and Waze I should be okay until there's either a good discount on TomTom or maybe even until Apple releases their version.

BTW if you've tried Waze did you get voice to turn by turn to work? It doesn't seem to want to work for me. It also feels more like a fun thing than a serious nav app but that could just be my perception of it.

Once again, thank you all for replying with good well thought out comments :)

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

TomTom charges an extra $20/year for traffic information on the U.S. version.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the TomTom app has ever been on sale.

12. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

It goes on sale 3-4 times a year. I got my copy when it was on sale for $35 down from $50.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

If you look it up on AppShopper, you will see how often it goes on sale.

14. itsmemuffins, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Interesting. Is that the American one? I've looked out for the Euro on but it has never been as low as Navigon.

Just had a look in appshopper and yes it has had several price drops. They are nowhere near the Navigon price drops. I think I got Navigon for €15.

15. Stella, Nov 18, 2011

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Navigon - FreshMaps - you have to pay for map updates, but its something like $CA15 for 4 quarterly updates over a 3 year period. Thats just over $1 for every map update, not too bad IMO. So 4 * 3 = 12 map updates over the duration.

I read some of the Navigon reviews yesterday - most of them were nothing but whinning - and misunderstandings about the new map subscription ( Fresh Maps ). I expect the map server was overloaded, hence issues with not being able to connect to navigon servers to get maps.

Is the "Panorama View 3D" in app purchase worth while?

TomTom - yes, it goes on sale too... see appshopper link for TT history:
    http://appshopper.com/navigation/tomtom-us-canada

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Making the call is your job -- not anyone else's. I went ahead and purchased Navigon 2.0. Do whatever works for you.

If you're ok with streaming maps then by all means go with it. Just don't assume that your preference is universal. There are plenty that need and/or want locally stored map data. Data coverage isn't always available/affordable.

You definitely have to read between the lines with reviews.

17. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

For version 2.0 it is mentioned:
    Free map update for all.
    Fresh Maps XL provides quarterly map updates for at least two years for a onetime fee.
    What's the difference between the two?

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last summer, I bought TomTom for about $35. I was patient and just waited till it was on sale. I would not pay for it at a higher price. I prefer TomTom over Navigon especially since Navigon will start charging for updates.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Here is my understanding

For mobile devices, maps are updated for free yearly. The freshmaps is a 15 dollar service to get updated maps quarterly for the lifetime of the app. The 2 years is for dedicated devices from what I gather and not phones

20. Digidesign, Nov 18, 2011

Digidesign macrumors 6502

Some info from Navigon:

What's confusing is that the in-app purchase calls it "FreshMaps XL", and makes no mention of how long the updates will last. The in-app description only says:

21. jfulcher macrumors regular

You should consider Garmin. They own Navigon now, but their app is leaps and bounds better and personally I like the interface better than TomTom too.

22. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I am a long time Copilot user and like it - they have regularly updated maps for free over the 2 years I have owned it and at around $15 it's cheap as well.

They have a 30 day trial (Copilot Directions) version so you can try it out and see if it fits your needs.

23. Ruby110 macrumors newbie

"Is the "Panorama View 3D" in app purchase worth while?"

I'm not a fan: you can't have North Up with Panorama View 3D. Also, i haven't noticed much difference in the generally flat area where I use it most. When we have driven in the mountains I expect it would look considerably better but I don't know because my wife prefers North Up and she is navigating!:)

24. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And you need 3g for maps as they aren't stored n the device

I will also say that I used waze before getting navigon and the routing waze uses is horrid