Should I wait? (Tmobile users)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swoosh0217, Jun 28, 2012.

1. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I have been with Tmobile for a quite a while now just because their plan is less expensive and most of my phones are different generation of iPhones. The most disadvantage every Tmobile users are facing is that we only have EDGE in our network.

Now, I have heard talks that Tmobile will actually create a 3G network for iPhone users at the end of the year and I'm not sure if that is legitimate. I really would like to get my hands on the next iPhone coming this fall but I'm afraid that I will never take advantage of the new features especially if I'm still on EDGE.

Therefore, should I take the plunge now and get the Galaxy S3? I need your opinion please.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Seems to me you should first be thinking about choosing a network that provides 3g , and then choose a phone they offer.

Theres little point having a high spec smartphone on a network that provides a snail trail service.

4. swoosh0217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Good point and I am taking a gamble of the new iPhone knowing my network is crappy as hell. Whats the use of a high tech phone when data network is the lowest grade when on EDGE unless I take advantage of WIFI access.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I use T-mobile.

My suggestion: Do NOT use your upgrade yet. Buy the Galaxy Nexus for $350 from Google. Use it for a few months (enjoying Jelly Bean goodness) and then come October:
    1. Find out whether T-mobile has the 850/1900 bands you need for iphone
    2. Decide whether you want the new iPhone or not

You should be able to sell the Galaxy Nexus for at least $250 (after all, its a freaking unlocked Google phone with a 720p display!).

6. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

Buy the iPhone 5 and wait a few more months for 3G on your network.

7. swoosh0217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You're taking a risk. Back in the early 2000's, t-mobile was the last carrier to get 3G. All the reps kept saying "Oh, its coming soon... its coming really soon!"

It ended up being a year and a half before the FCC cleared out enough spectrum for T-mobile to get 3G.

What I have learned is this: unless you live in a big city where T-mobile has very good connectivity (like Atlanta), then you would be wise to purchase based on what they have today. You can always swap devices a few months from now if they deliver on their promises.