Should I wait to buy my 27 inch imac? Any predictions on the new release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stapleyarts, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. stapleyarts macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #1
    I was just curious with all the experienced users out there what you recommend? Should I buy my new imac now or wait till the next release? And do you have any predictions on when that would be, or what upgrades there will be? Thanks
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    Odds are the current version will be more than enough for you. They were just updated, so it's not going to be updated again for a few months.
     
  3. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #3
    Apple is still in the middle of addressing issues with the 27" iMac. I don't think updates to the line are even on the table at this point. Go ahead and buy.
     
  4. ladysman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #4
    i was in the same boat as the OP and decided an i7 with 8gb would be plenty. I'll let everyone know once I get it if there are issues with it. I ordered it from my local Apple place (not an actual apple store).
     
  5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

    rnelan7

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    Location:
    Boise
    #5
    By looking at the buyer's guide you can predict another refresh around summer time.
     
  6. donster28 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Location:
    Great White North
    #6
    This is a very difficult question to answer at this point, and you are absolutely in the right timing to ask it (confused yet?...hehe).

    After returning my 6th in-store i5 replacement, I decided to sit this out, but I am unsure for how long. Like man others are saying here, the updated iMacs should be ariving by May or June. That's a mere 3-4 months away. Although the update will be minor (loosely based on Apple's track record on iMacs). We should expect a little bit of the hardware update, but the exterior should stay the same. There's also a talk of a touch screen iMac but this just boils down to user preference. I like touch screens, but they get tiring.

    Couple this with the issues these iMacs are having, and I'm not only talking about yellow screens, dead pixels on the iSight camera and buzzing sound, I warn you of another issue that is not wide spread (or should I say not immediately noticed by people): faint small greyish speck inside the LCD (not in between the glass and LCD but embedded on the LCD itself). My 6th replacement was a week 5 i5, and it had this defect, as well as the 3 other replacements before it.

    We still do not know if the week 6 iMacs are all defect free at this point. I suggest skimming through these threads for updates.

    My answer to you: Wait another month or so, if you really need to have the iMac now. You won't really regret it when updates arrive since they will be minor. Also, do monitor these threads for reviews of the current stock of iMacs (week 6 onwards) before pulling the trigger.

    This is where I am right now.

    I hope this helps. ;)
     

Share This Page