Should I wait to buy my MBP in april or may

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seemac93, Jan 1, 2012.

  1. seemac93 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #1
    I was just wondering if people could help me with my decision to either buy a MBP now or wait till april or may to buy one because apple might release the new intel processor and they might switch the graphics card.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Do you need one now? Then buy one now. If you can wait, then you'll be better off.

    Its your money, and your decision. Only you can really decide whether waiting is a viable option.

    I'm not trying to sound too harsh just pointing out that its your choice.
     
  3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    #3
    Might might might...it's all a guessing game.
     
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #4
    based on a precise evaluation of your current and future needs and how they would benefit from the new intel CPUs, I have determined that you should wait.
     
  5. seemac93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #6
    even if they do change the processor will it be that much better of a processor.
     
  6. bill-p macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #7
    I don't know if I can help you decide, but I can give you my personal preference. I went for a 2011 device instead. When the 2012 Macbook Pro comes out, I can resell my 2011 at a small loss and get the 2012 instead. It's probably a few hundred dollars, but in return, I get to use a Macbook Pro all that time.

    So personally, I think that's worth it.
     
  7. seemac93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #8
    thanks i think i might just go with that idea.
     
  8. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

    Steve.P.JobsFan

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Cincinnati
    #9
    According to the research I can find, Ivy Bridge is only a small speed boost.
     
  9. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    If you need a computer now, buy now.
    If you can wait till Q2, buy then.
     
  10. chillfrilla macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    #11
    u should WAIT like seriously the 2012 will be worth it!!!

    actually u know what!!!! dont eeeven wait till 2012, wait till the 2013 or 2014 macbook pros come out!!! YEAHH!!
     
  11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #12
    Will it bother you if the ~April 2012 update produces a redesigned chassis or change other than just the CPU/gpu?

    If it will bother you, then you may want to wait.
     
  12. DanB1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    #13
    I reckon buy one now, I have friends who still have their mac from 3 years ago and use it everyday. But with one exception - buy applecare just to be on the safe side and you can't lose.
     
  13. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #14
    You'll still be able to buy the older design as stock levels will not quickly diminish so if you don't like the new design, if you move quickly you can buy the older model. Me, I'm waiting for the new design :)
     
  14. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #15
    True true.

    It's not really that long to go now.

    Can the MBPs be updated on April 8th 2012 if the Ivy Bridge processors get released then?

    Cheers
     
  15. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    My only concern is that apple in the past has sat on the new chipset for a while before releasing an updated Mac. That is Intel releases the chip set to manufacturers but apple waits a month or two before releasing a mac with that new chipset.

    I guess on the flip side, it gives me more time to save my pennies :)
     
  16. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #17
    We should see an update on or after April 8th 2012, which is obvious.

    Bring it on ^_^
     
  17. cmChimera macrumors 68040

    cmChimera

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    #18
    Hopefully the fact that it seems to line perfectly with their release scheule for the past couple years will encourage them not to.
     
  18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

    dontwalkhand

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #19
    My MacBook prior to this one (a 2006 model that I got my hands on) had a screen flicker issue, and a dying video card (artifacts would display on the screen, Genius said video card), so I had no option but to purchase a new Mac if I wanted to keep working.

    Would I have waited if I could? Yes.

    Does that make my purchase irrelevant? No. It is not like my Mac will stop working when the newer ones come out.
     
  19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

    cmChimera

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    #20
    Ivy Bridge brings other advantages, such as native USB 3.0 support.
     
  20. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

    Steve.P.JobsFan

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Cincinnati
    #21
    That too. I was just mainly focused on speed.
     
  21. thermodynamic Suspended

    thermodynamic

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #22

    That depends on the replaced processor type.

    Ivy Bridge's specs, the last I'd read, are 10~15% faster than the comparable Sandy Bridge. It's more evolutionary than revolutionary, unlike Sandy and the speed benefits it brought in.

    Unless the new processor is a puny ARM thing, but I don't see that happening until 2014 or so, as high-end models will want to be 64-bit (I do graphic design and web development; the size of prints I deal with (poster size) has me using 5GB with ease. Add in a single VM and I've used almost all 8GB of it.

    A multi-core ARM that can match the speed of Intel's current line-up but run far cooler will be a boon, but we're talking years... by then, no doubt ARM ports of Adobe's product line will be available as well.
     

Share This Page