Should IE stay or should IE go?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
umm why is this even a question? Is there anyone out there who LIKES IE? I just assumed all IE users were un-aware of alternatives and just used what ever came on their DELL...

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
dornoforpyros said:
umm why is this even a question? Is there anyone out there who LIKES IE? I just assumed all IE users were un-aware of alternatives and just used what ever came on their DELL...
I think the question was more directed at the corporate IT types who only know about MS products, or they only know how to use MS products.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
winmacguy said:
I think the question was more directed at the corporate IT types who only know about MS products, or they only know how to use MS products.
Yes, so many so called "IT people" have no idea about anything outside of MS and Dell :mad: C'mon learn something new ;)

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
The Article said Firefox has less features than IE. I thought it had more, unless every bug is a feature?

Also the Article states that Firefox can't view ASP and .Net pages, I though these types of pages are server generated (like PHP & CGI).

As for the lack of scripting, Firefox supports safe languages such as JavaScript and Java. It just doesn't support the dangerous Active X.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
winmacguy said:
An for that reason it should stay - there are a number of sites, particularly internet banking ones, that are only compatible with IE - because the designers only think about iE. Until any site can be accessed by any browser, or even Firefox alone, it has to stay unfortunately.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
awulf said:
Also the Article states that Firefox can't view ASP and .Net pages, I though these types of pages are server generated (like PHP & CGI).
I can confirm that it displays them fine. I work part-time for an ASP.NET developer, and while the pages sometimes need a few tweaks to make them look right, FF and Safari can both run the Web apps without problems.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Nickygoat said:
An for that reason it should stay - there are a number of sites, particularly internet banking ones, that are only compatible with IE - because the designers only think about iE. Until any site can be accessed by any browser, or even Firefox alone, it has to stay unfortunately.
yeah, and this really bothers me. my bank's browser requirements for the mac are IE or netscape. great, i can choose between a browser that's been killed by the developer or one that's been dead for years. needless to say, i don't use the internet banking feature.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Between Safari, Firefox, Camino and OmniWeb, that question has long since lost relevance for Mac users. Knowing that MicroShaft isn't going forward with IE development for the Mac, we've been telling them "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out!" or "Take this browser and shove it." for the last few years.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
IE should GO permanently. I don't know any Mac or Windows user who actually uses it. Even some old timers who don't know what other options they have or had, I had informed them that IE is insecure and they have never used it since. ;) :)

Security should come first and if you bank online division does not comply then they do not take Security seriously, which means time to tell them to make it open standard or leave the bank altogether. :)

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
my friend knows of all the alternatives and still sticks with IE.

He's computer savvy aswell. :confused:

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
There is one thing I miss about I.E. for Mac and that's the Explorer Bar I have never quite found an alternative to it in other browsers. I liked how you could have all web browser controls placed on the left in a slim bar that allowed you to view Web pages in fullest lenght possible without having a Fat toolbar on top wasting Verical Pixels like in Safari and Firefox. Sure one can hide the toolbar via Key combinations but I found the Sidebar in explorer for Mac with it's extending Drawers quicker and more convenient. If anyone is confused by what what I mean I can post a pic.

Other than the above mentioned there is nothing I miss about I.E. for Mac or Windows. I use FireFox and Safari now.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
bentley said:
my friend knows of all the alternatives and still sticks with IE.

He's computer savvy aswell. :confused:
I know people at the agency where I work who have their machines secured pretty well. However, what they do would be almost incomprehensible to John Q. Public who goes for the out-of-box Windows. You throw concepts like IP filtering at my parent or even some of my 20-something friends, and you can just watch their eyes glaze over.

And it truly annoys me that our time logging app ONLY works on IE6/Win.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Nickygoat said:
well, the thing is, once ie is gone, the stupid developers will realize that they have to start developing for firefox.

i personally hate ie, not only because of it's security holes, but because of how slow it is and, the ugly, clunky ui.

overall, i think its a very stupid question

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
awulf said:
The Article said Firefox has less features than IE. I thought it had more, unless every bug is a feature?

As for the lack of scripting, Firefox supports safe languages such as JavaScript and Java. It just doesn't support the dangerous Active X.

Active X is not a dangerous as people make it out to be. Just to many people download bad Active X scriptes. Their are a lot over very valid and safe Active X programs out thier. One for example is secerity, MS uses active X for windows updates. a lot of update programs use it. All in all firefox does have less feature than IE. It easier to find and thier are more plug ins for IE that firefox lacks.
More pages work in IE over firefox.

That being said I use firefox as my primary broswer and IE is for those sites that dont work in firefox and windows update.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
i think IE should go but not just yet. theres still way to many sites that are only optimized for IE and works on nothing else.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Timelessblur said:
Active X is not a dangerous as people make it out to be. Just to many people download bad Active X scriptes. Their are a lot over very valid and safe Active X programs out thier. One for example is secerity, MS uses active X for windows updates. a lot of update programs use it. All in all firefox does have less feature than IE. It easier to find and thier are more plug ins for IE that firefox lacks.
More pages work in IE over firefox.

That being said I use firefox as my primary broswer and IE is for those sites that dont work in firefox and windows update.
Windows Update would be better as an Internet-enabled application (like Apple's Software Update) instead of a web service as it is now, IMO. Making this change would allow me to finally dump IE on my PC and make me trust Windows Update more. ActiveX was designed by Microsoft as a way for them to "hack" Windows in order to update it. Unfortunately, this very feature is what makes ActiveX (and VBScript) so dangerous when wielded as an attack tool by hackers.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
I've been using it for years and have never had a problem with it. It's stable and gets the job done. I've tinkered with Firefox and others and don't really care for some of the extra features. I don't spend much time online so I don't need all the bookmarks and tabs. That said, IE on Mac is virtually gone. They don't support it any longer which is a shame. Safari can't bring up many of the websites I've tried visiting becuase it lacks a plug-in or chooses to render it incorrectly. I don't necessarily wish they would bring it back to the Mac, I just wish they would fix Safari so I can visit a simple web page and see it the way it was meant to be displayed. I have pity on the person who wants to view a wmv file on a website. Unless you can download it and play it in the player it doesn't work. Mac is too non-mainstream to be useful on an everyday basis. I obviously have one and love it but I have to keep my desktop so I can remain productive. I'm sure Microsoft won't market IE to the Mac world now that they don't have to but it would be nice if Apple would make Safari a little more useful. By the way the same goes for Firefox and Opera. Neither can do what the simple IE can do. It's truly a shame:(

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Windows Update would be better as an Internet-enabled application (like Apple's Software Update) instead of a web service as it is now, IMO. Making this change would allow me to finally dump IE on my PC and make me trust Windows Update more. ActiveX was designed by Microsoft as a way for them to "hack" Windows in order to update it. Unfortunately, this very feature is what makes ActiveX (and VBScript) so dangerous when wielded as an attack tool by hackers.

I seen some very good uses of Active X and it is a very powerful and useful if used correctly. Proublem is that same power also makes it a big weakness. I seen it really good at deally with security on some sites of things you log into in ways that with out it you couldnt do. Just most of those places the general public does not deal with. Some companys use that for thier employee sign in and what not.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
wrldwzrd89 said:
Windows Update would be better as an Internet-enabled application (like Apple's Software Update) instead of a web service as it is now, IMO.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening. Microsoft is replacing Windows Update with a 'new' service called Microsoft Update. It's still a Web service, just like the current one. The difference is that they've combined Office Update into it, so it's now a one-stop updating centre that updates all your MS apps, rather than just Windows.

Don't head off to update.microsoft.com just to see what's there, as the site is still in beta testing and needs a username and password.

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
It seems like some Windows people stick with IE just for the sake of not wanting to change. I can't figure out why my Dad for example doesn't switch. He is very knowledgeable about computers and loves tabbed browsing, but continues to use IE. He has Firefox installed and I use when I'm on his computer, but he rarely does. He's good with computer security and never has serious problems with spyware/viruses. Oh, well.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would imagine that IE will be around just as long as Microsoft remains on the scene. As mentioned those tech savvy computer users already know of alternatives.